Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 99101 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #735 on: December 06, 2013, 05:48:25 PM »
We visited my father earlier this year.  He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, a large, densely populated urban center.  There are no significant open spaces for over a mile from his house, yet they have a serious deer problem in his neighborhood.  The deer destroy most tasty landscaping plants, but have no taste for ivy.  We took a picture of a young doe casually walking down the street and grazing on the plants in the front yards, which we thought was pretty cool.  My Dad's neighbor, a lady, went out her back door one morning to find a buck with a large rack of antlers preparing to charge at her.  She quickly went back in the house and shut the door.  Close encounters with deer are not always fun.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

o_gal

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #736 on: December 09, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »
A word of warning for those of you who want to build a nesting box for owls.

1. Owls can be really loud when they vocalize.
2. You can still hear them quite clearly when they are a few hundred feet away.
3. Guess when owls are loudest? One hint: it ain't the middle of the day.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #737 on: December 09, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »
We have a lot of hawks around here. It's pretty common to be driving down the interstate and see hawks perched in the trees alongside the shoulder, or hawks perched on powerlines, or telephone poles. I've seen them swoop down and snatch something out of the grass, and I've seen packs of Blue Jays go screaming after them if they get too close to a nest.

I used to find hawk feathers in my mom's yard all the time. I still have a small collection of them.

BarensMom

« Reply #738 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
We visited my father earlier this year.  He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, a large, densely populated urban center.  There are no significant open spaces for over a mile from his house, yet they have a serious deer problem in his neighborhood.  The deer destroy most tasty landscaping plants, but have no taste for ivy.  We took a picture of a young doe casually walking down the street and grazing on the plants in the front yards, which we thought was pretty cool.  My Dad's neighbor, a lady, went out her back door one morning to find a buck with a large rack of antlers preparing to charge at her.  She quickly went back in the house and shut the door.  Close encounters with deer are not always fun.

Yeah, SF Bay Area is the poster child for urban sprawl.  I saw a coyote walking around my neighborhood yesterday afternoon.  Baren was obviously excited at the sight of a new "doggie," but the coyote wasn't interested and slunk back off into the hills.

Figgie

« Reply #739 on: December 09, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
Our dog Harry was a border collie mix.  He loved to herd the cats into his kennel, lie in front of it and keep them from leaving.  It was somewhat convenient when I needed to catch a cat to medicate them or take them to the vet, but it mostly was a pain to deal with.

He was absolutely relentless about chasing them down and forcing them into his kennel.  I would yell at him to quit herding the cats and he would (very grudgingly) let them out and leave them alone for a while until the instinct kicked in and he just HAD to herd them all into his kennel again.

We live in a prime bald eagle breeding area.  Also near where the immature bald eagles winter.  I've been startled more than once by seeing what looks like a rock falling from the sky next to the car only to realize it was an eagle hunting and taking off with some small animal it saw in the ditch.  And watching them catch fish is really something to see!  :)

GreenHall

« Reply #740 on: December 09, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »
Our dog Harry was a border collie mix.  He loved to herd the cats into his kennel, lie in front of it and keep them from leaving.  It was somewhat convenient when I needed to catch a cat to medicate them or take them to the vet, but it mostly was a pain to deal with.

He was absolutely relentless about chasing them down and forcing them into his kennel.  I would yell at him to quit herding the cats and he would (very grudgingly) let them out and leave them alone for a while until the instinct kicked in and he just HAD to herd them all into his kennel again.

We live in a prime bald eagle breeding area.  Also near where the immature bald eagles winter.  I've been startled more than once by seeing what looks like a rock falling from the sky next to the car only to realize it was an eagle hunting and taking off with some small animal it saw in the ditch.  And watching them catch fish is really something to see!  :)

And to think I use the phrase 'Herding Cats' to signify something nigh impossible.  I do think a video of Harry and his charges would be awesome.

judecat

« Reply #741 on: December 12, 2013, 05:47:38 AM »
Amy was also a border collie mix,  and she also herded cats -- she'd round them up and corral them into the den.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #742 on: December 15, 2013, 05:14:04 AM »
Buddy, our cat, escapes through our front door into the interior hallway we share with 20 other units and won't come back.  We send Honey Girl, our Dachshund/Terrier mix out to herd him back home.  She alternates between nipping his heels and shoulder blocks.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #743 on: December 15, 2013, 05:50:31 AM »
I live in a mostly urban area and one day spotted a kestrel sitting on a maintenance fence right next yo the parking lot.

There is a pair of Harris Hawks (which often hunt in pairs) that hangs around my complex though they prefer the phone wires and the tall trees. They must go nuts trying to figure out how to grab the teeny chihuahua that lives in the complex (it's always leashed).

I worked at a hotel down here that was adopted every year for years as the place where a mother bobcat had her kittens. They fenced the area off when she arrived and put up "do not pet the cats" signs.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #744 on: December 15, 2013, 07:23:01 AM »
Saw a red fox yesterday! Bold fellow, it was early morning but already bright and the fox got pretty close to the house. First time I saw one here, and so close!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #745 on: December 15, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
We saw an American Bald Eagle on the way to camp yesterday. I consider eagle sightings as signs that I am on the right path, so this was a good day.

Kariachi

« Reply #746 on: December 16, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
Was within six feet of either a falcon or hawk (can't tell the species cause I didn't get a clear view, but probably a Cooper's Hawk, given I'm pretty sure this guy lives here year round) yesterday afternoon. It flew past my kitchen window carrying a Grackle about half it's size, then turned behind the pumphouse and disappeared.

I love my area. ;D
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #747 on: December 16, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
I once saw an immature peregrine falcon take a pigeon on Pennsylvania Avenue in DC.

Brings a new meaning to "hawks and doves in Washington".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #748 on: December 16, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
I once saw an immature peregrine falcon take a pigeon on Pennsylvania Avenue in DC.

Brings a new meaning to "hawks and doves in Washington".

There's an osprey that likes to fish in the Capitol fountain.  Mind you, there are no fish there, but he/she sure does like to dive bomb the water

cwm

« Reply #749 on: December 16, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
There's fountains in a shopping area near where I work. The fountains themselves were turned off, but there's still the water, which had frozen over. A heron managed to peck a hole in the water, looking for a meal. He was sorely disappointed, there's never any fish in that water.