Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 99796 times)

Cherry91

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #750 on: December 17, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
Before I start, a quick warning that this one could be quite squicky/distressing for some.

Okay, starting now.

My ex-bf, who is still a good friend, used to go to a school that was right across the road from my own (they'd once been one establishment, connected by a tunnel that went under the road). The other school sat pretty much on the riverbed.

A group of schoolboys were sitting by the river when something washed up on the bed. At first, they thought it was just a tree branch.

It wasn't a tree branch. It was a limb.

The police were called, of course, and it eventually turned out that some poor soul had jumped into the river quite a while before. The one positive of the situation was that they were able to find his body and notify his relatives, who had reported him missing.

greencat

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #751 on: December 17, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
Before I start, a quick warning that this one could be quite squicky/distressing for some.

Okay, starting now.

My ex-bf, who is still a good friend, used to go to a school that was right across the road from my own (they'd once been one establishment, connected by a tunnel that went under the road). The other school sat pretty much on the riverbed.

A group of schoolboys were sitting by the river when something washed up on the bed. At first, they thought it was just a tree branch.

The police were called, of course, and it eventually turned out that some poor soul had jumped into the river quite a while before. The one positive of the situation was that they were able to find his body and notify his relatives, who had reported him missing.

Was this pun-intentional?  >:D

Cherry91

« Reply #752 on: December 18, 2013, 06:09:18 AM »

Okay, starting now.

Was this pun-intentional?  >:D

Can I say it was subconsciously? (That's a no)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #753 on: February 04, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
Two women were kidnapped at gunpoint, in daylight, in a park near our house. They were driven around and forced to withdraw money from various ATMs, and one of them was raped.

The Sweetie and I agree that if anyone says "Get in the car or I'll shoot you," the proper response is "Well, you'd better shoot me, then." I hope that should that ever really happen, I'd keep my wits enough. 
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Coralreef

« Reply #754 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »
I moved to a nice little place near my work.  The following summer, a man was shot and killed near the mail box/biking path.  That made me a little nervous when getting my mail.

[/right

BigBadBetty

« Reply #755 on: February 04, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »
Several years ago, there were 3 unrelated murders in a period of a year within 1 mile of my place. There haven't been any in my neighborhood otherwise in the 20 years that I have lived in the area. Only one of them was solved.

WishUponAStar

« Reply #756 on: February 04, 2014, 08:04:05 PM »

The Sweetie and I agree that if anyone says "Get in the car or I'll shoot you," the proper response is "Well, you'd better shoot me, then." I hope that should that ever really happen, I'd keep my wits enough.

I would agree with not getting in the car. I've heard that it's far better to risk harm than go with the person trying to abduct you, even if they have a gun. You could do anything they say and chances are they'll still harm you. I would probably run, hoping that they wouldn't want to draw attention by firing down the street. I've read countless stories about people walking, having a gun pointed at them, and being told to get in a car. Usually when they obliged, harm came to them :(

BigBadBetty

« Reply #757 on: February 04, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »

I would agree with not getting in the car. I've heard that it's far better to risk harm than go with the person trying to abduct you, even if they have a gun. You could do anything they say and chances are they'll still harm you. I would probably run, hoping that they wouldn't want to draw attention by firing down the street. I've read countless stories about people walking, having a gun pointed at them, and being told to get in a car. Usually when they obliged, harm came to them :(

When I worked at a bank, they told us do whatever the robber(s) ask except go with them as a hostage. They suggested fainting, running the other way, etc.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #758 on: February 04, 2014, 11:25:07 PM »
The limp doll trick works pretty well for my 3-year-old when she doesn't want to walk somewhere, that might work pretty well for an adult, too, if somebody is trying to grab you and force you into a car (with a gun pointed at you).  Even trying to grab the gun is probably a better idea than getting into a car with a guy who has a gun on you, especially if you are female.

doodlemor

« Reply #759 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:10 AM »
Two women were kidnapped at gunpoint, in daylight, in a park near our house. They were driven around and forced to withdraw money from various ATMs, and one of them was raped.

My husband is retired from law enforcement, and he basically says to do the same thing.  He gets very worried when I occasionally shop in a nearby small city that has had several missing women - only one of which has been found.

In my small town about 30 years ago a drunken man with a gun tried to kidnap a woman.  Fortunately she was tough and resourceful.  The incident happened in an out of the way parking lot owned by a small business. When the man told the woman to get back into her car with him, she threw her keys in his direction and ran the other way.  I think that he stole her car, but it was recovered.

I remember the incident because I had two small children at the time, and a number of errands to run that day.  According to my planned schedule, I was supposed to be in that parking lot at about the same time with my little children.  Instead, there were a number of vexing circumstances/messes with the children that delayed me by several hours.  I was in an unhappy mood when we finally got out of the house.  When I got to the business where the incident occurred and heard the story, I was totally, incredibly thankful for all of the small annoyances that delayed our departure from home. 

If I'd been the one accosted, and had my children all bucked into their car seats I don't know what I would have done.  It probably would not have ended well.  This made me believe in guardian angels.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #760 on: February 05, 2014, 10:19:33 AM »
When I was in college, I lived in a co-ed dorm. "Showering" was a common prank, involving getting the person into the shower and, well, showering them.

I'm an expert at going limp, twisting when being dragged by the legs, and other tactics*. I've put on a lot of weight since then, so I'd be even MORE trouble limp now.

(Once, I fought back for such an entertainingly long time that by the time the guy got me to the shower, the onlookers grabbed the guy and showered HIM instead.)

*all in consensual fun.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #761 on: February 05, 2014, 02:55:24 PM »
A little late to the party, but here's my 'dramatic, scary' story:

I used to work for a religious institution that had it's share of death threats sent to the big bosses.  So, security was very important. We were in a donated building that was cornered on three sides by an interstate, conservation land, and a giant cemetery.  I was the help desk manager and walked around the building a lot, taking tech issues and resolving them.

This particular day, I was sent over to a lady in finance, who had a desk next to the window on the third floor.  She was on the telephone.  I waited, off to the side looking at the pretty snowscape out the window in the conservation land.  Then, I noticed movement.

What I thought I saw was a man up a deer blind with a rifle. Eeek!!!!!  He was either aiming at conservation land, the interstate or us.

I turned and ran down the stair as fast as I could.  Our head of security (Fred) was a retired state trooper and took his job VERY seriously.  I bolted to his desk in the mailroom and told him what I thought I had seen.  His assistant mentioned 'the strange van was back in the parking lot'.  The security head took off and his assistant and I headed to the window.

The potential hunter was entering our lot!  Fred confronted him.  We couldn't see anything else.  Fred eventually re-entered the building.  I was slightly off in my observation.  It was not a rifle.  It was a machete!

It turns out the machete man was an employee of the highway department.  He built the blind to see progress on a road construction project and was parking in our lot, since it was the only one around.  My powers of observation made me one of Fred's most popular employees - while I was wrong, I did still spot a stranger near the building with a weapon, even if it was a completely legitimate situation.

I've also run into the SWAT team at an apartment complex, slept through a nearby fatal car accident in which the vehicle rolled three time before catching fire about 65 yards from my bedroom window, and had to keep my 11 pound rat terrier, which is derived from smooth coat fox terriers, from a mangy fox that liked to sunbathe about a block from our apartment.  Morty, the terrier, became Scrappy Doo whenever he could smell that fox and I think the fox liked to taunt him.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #762 on: February 05, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »
Why would a highway department person need a machete though?  Was he single handedly cutting down the plant growth in the path of the road project?   :-\

Garden Goblin

« Reply #763 on: February 05, 2014, 04:44:48 PM »
Why would a highway department person need a machete though? 

What a silly question.  Machetes are awesome.  Who wouldn't need one? ;)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #764 on: February 05, 2014, 05:02:10 PM »
Why would a highway department person need a machete though? 

What a silly question.  Machetes are awesome.  Who wouldn't need one? ;)

Snakes?  Vegetation growing back on the path between trips to the blind overlooking the construction site?  He mislaid his bullwhip & Indiana Jones hat - so grabbed the machete instead?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?