Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 91877 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #780 on: February 07, 2014, 12:44:08 AM »
One think I find interesting is the difference between eastern and western coyotes.  Out in the west they are much skinnier and scraggly looking.  Here in the DC Metro Area, the first time I saw one, I thought it was a very well fed mutt :P

People have done a good deal of comparison between the eastern and western coyotes and the popular theory at the moment is that the eastern ones have a good deal of wolf ancestry. I don't know whether anyone has done DNA testing to confirm this, though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:14:54 PM by bansidhe »
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

TeamBhakta

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #781 on: February 07, 2014, 02:28:25 AM »
The other week, I was in the backyard putting out food for my stray cats. The sky was very cloudy & it was about to rain. All of a sudden I heard the tornado siren go off (definitely not a fire truck siren or a car horn). In all the years I've lived here, the town's tornado siren has never been used, not even when actual tornados hit. So I freaked out, ran into the house & madly flipped through the local news channels, just to make double sure what was going on. Not one mention on any channel. And no tornado came through. Made me a nervous wreck the rest of the day, though

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #782 on: February 07, 2014, 04:03:16 AM »
There have been several attacks on homeless men over the last couple months here in Honolulu.  Tuesday afternoon I let Honey Girl play in the open field between the golf course and the library for the blind.  Wednesday morning news reported on two homeless men who were stabbed right next to the library.  One was barely scratched, but the other was taken to the hospital in serious condition.  The guy who wasn't hurt badly spoke with the news reporters, although his face was blurred and his voice distorted.  He saw the assault and tried to break it up, which resulted in him getting cut.

Some of the assaults were homeless on homeless, but others appear to be gangs of young men looking for trouble. :(
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #783 on: February 07, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
The other week, I was in the backyard putting out food for my stray cats. The sky was very cloudy & it was about to rain. All of a sudden I heard the tornado siren go off (definitely not a fire truck siren or a car horn). In all the years I've lived here, the town's tornado siren has never been used, not even when actual tornados hit. So I freaked out, ran into the house & madly flipped through the local news channels, just to make double sure what was going on. Not one mention on any channel. And no tornado came through. Made me a nervous wreck the rest of the day, though

I'm reading this really fascinating book, called "The Unthinkable: Who survives when disaster strikes--and why."  It talks about how when a really bad earthquake struck the coast of Chile, Hawaii had an earthquake-detection system that actually worked, and sirens went off, giving people 10 hours of warning to prepare for a tsunami.  The bad part?  They'd neglected to, you know, tell the citizens what the sirens were for.  People had no idea what the sirens meant or what they were supposed to do, so they didn't react.

I remember being pretty freaked out the first time, in our last station, I heard the tornado sirens go off and an announcement on the loudspeaker that I couldn't understand.  Turns out that the military base that we lived on the edge of does a tornado drill every month.  I couldn't hear the loudspeaker because, living off base, we were just a little too far.  So I guess if it ever went off for real, the first thing I would be looking at was the time to see if it was noon on the first Monday of the month. :)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #784 on: February 09, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »
I hadn't really thought about there being coyotes on our farm till I put up the wildlife camera.

So far we have caught some coyotes, raccoons, deer, 1 trespasser (Man in hat) and some wampasses (Mysterious animals that make noise)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #785 on: February 09, 2014, 11:30:46 PM »
Fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #786 on: February 10, 2014, 09:31:25 AM »
In the vein of herding stories, my inlaws had a sheltie when dh was little and she'd herd him about.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

alkira6

« Reply #787 on: February 10, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »
The worse thing I have had since we moved a few years ago was the fire in the field that the brats down the street set (and yes, brats is an accurate word for these 4 kids).  They had to bring out pump trucks to go into the field to put it out as the hoses couldn't reach that far.

Recently I saw a standoff between a raccoon and a deer over a pile of dried corn and apple pieces that someone put out. I don't know who won as I stay away from raccoons.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #788 on: February 10, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »
1 trespasser (Man in hat)

He looks like Badger from Firefly
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #789 on: February 11, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
I'm reading this really fascinating book, called "The Unthinkable: Who survives when disaster strikes--and why."  It talks about how when a really bad earthquake struck the coast of Chile, Hawaii had an earthquake-detection system that actually worked, and sirens went off, giving people 10 hours of warning to prepare for a tsunami.  The bad part?  They'd neglected to, you know, tell the citizens what the sirens were for.  People had no idea what the sirens meant or what they were supposed to do, so they didn't react.
Sounds like a poorly researched story.  I remember this disaster quite clearly.  We were in Milwaukee, having just buried my FIL.  My DH & I live in Hawaii.  Middle Son lives in Chile.  We were watching the TV for damage assessments and calling home.  We have a horse who lives in a flood zone/tsunami inundation zone.  Two friends called me to ask if I wanted them to move Misty while they were moving their horses to higher ground.

I don't know about visitors, but everyone I know is very familiar with the emergency alert sirens.  Those suckers are LOUD! They don't tell you what the emergency might be, could be earthquake, could be tsunami, could be a hurricane.  We all know to tune in on our radios to find out specifically what is wrong.  Some people don't believe the warnings and choose to do nothing, but that's not the same as not being told.

... and I moved from California to get away from the earthquakes! ::)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #790 on: February 12, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »
A week or two ago my oldest son went to visit his gf at her house, only to see a house fire a few doors down.  The owner was out of the house, but his two doggies didn't make it.  :'(

It kinda bugged me when the local paper reported that no one died in the fire despite reporting two dogs had died.  I know they mean no humans but I found myself grumbling that pets count as a someone, even if they're not human.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
My husband was walking our dogs at about 8:00 pm yesterday. We live in a rural area with dirt roads, cows, no streetlights, etc. where there is rarely any traffic, so he was walking down the middle of the road.

He was a few yards away from our street when he heard the door to the trailer on the corner open. A man shouted from the door, "Identify yourself! I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it!"

My husband was very ??? for a moment. Like I said, he was walking down the street, not anywhere close to being on this guy's property. He shouted back, "Ummm...I'm just walking my dogs." Nutty Neighbor responded by firing his gun.

The end result of all this was six Sheriff's Department cars and a helicopter. After the officers talked to my husband they headed to Nutty Neighbor's place, from which we heard a whole lot of yelling and cussing but no further gunfire.

Husband is going to try today to find out whether the guy was arrested or what. I'm so thrilled that he lives right down the street from us.  :-\

Update: My husband obtained a copy of the report and discovered that no one was arrested and the officers weren't even able  to go onto the people's property. Why? Because it was very dark when the incident happened and my husband didn't see the gun. Because of that, they didn't have probable cause to go onto the property without the owners' permission - and of course the owners did not give permission.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:43:30 AM by bansidhe »
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
A week or so ago a house up the street had a garage fire.  Fortunately everyone got out safely, but there was quite a bit of damage to the house, and as of yesterday it was still boarded up.  I hadn't seen anything, but MR. Sirius told me about having to avoid a bunch of fire vehicles on his way home from work.  Later, the fire department passed flyers out to everyone in the neighborhood reiterating basic home fire safety. 

(Still no solution to the incident that happened next door, according to the local paper.  In fact, nothing's changed over there at all; there are still people living there and the dogs are outside and barking.  You'd never know that someone died over there under mysterious circumstances less than two months ago.)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
My husband was walking our dogs at about 8:00 pm yesterday. We live in a rural area with dirt roads, cows, no streetlights, etc. where there is rarely any traffic, so he was walking down the middle of the road.

He was a few yards away from our street when he heard the door to the trailer on the corner open. A man shouted from the door, "Identify yourself! I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it!"

My husband was very ??? for a moment. Like I said, he was walking down the street, not anywhere close to being on this guy's property. He shouted back, "Ummm...I'm just walking my dogs." Nutty Neighbor responded by firing his gun.

The end result of all this was six Sheriff's Department cars and a helicopter. After the officers talked to my husband they headed to Nutty Neighbor's place, from which we heard a whole lot of yelling and cussing but no further gunfire.

Husband is going to try today to find out whether the guy was arrested or what. I'm so thrilled that he lives right down the street from us.  :-\

Update: My husband obtained a copy of the report and discovered that no one was arrested and the officers weren't even able  to go onto the people's property. Why? Because it was very dark when the incident happened and my husband didn't see the gun. Because of that, they didn't have probable cause to go onto the property without the owners' permission - and of course the owners did not give permission.  >:(

Today the little punk above bit off more than he could chew. He's the one on the right in this article:
http://www.kvoa.com/news/two-suspects-arrested-one-dead-following-three-points-home-invasion/
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

otterwoman

Today the little punk above bit off more than he could chew. He's the one on the right in this article:
http://www.kvoa.com/news/two-suspects-arrested-one-dead-following-three-points-home-invasion/

Ah, you live around Tucson, that explains it. I have family there. The first time DH visited with me there, he read the local paper. He was stunned by the idea of no gun permits (we're from NY). He called Arizona the "Don't $^%# with me state. The people are armed, the animals are armed and the plants are armed!"