News:

• April 20, 2018, 07:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thanks!  (Read 3989 times)

Luci

Re: Friend's Kids and Eating Out in Public
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
I simply wouldn't eat out with her at that restaurant if it bothered me. I'd be "busy" whenever she invited me to eat with them there.

Ed.

Exactly. I wouldn't say why, though, unless she asks point blank.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
I don't think whether a restaurant offers high chairs is a firm expression of a restaurant's position. It's a clue, but it's one of many. It could be the restaurant just hasn't ordered them yet, especially if it's a new restaurant. Or a restaurant might offer high chairs because they're afraid of legal liability, and not because they want to go out of their way to be welcoming to families with young children.

Most of the places we go (not that we eat out as much as we did) don't have high chairs. However, we go places where we are regulars, and the Nom is perfectly welcome. The other day we took him to our favorite Ethiopian place, where the cook sent out special baby-friendly foods gratis, the waitress insisted we let him run around a bit (place was empty at that time), and the owner came out to play with him, offering a 200-year-old tribal drum to bang on! No highchairs there, but more than baby-friendly.

That said, it's something that must be judged on a case-by-case basis. If the atmosphere of a place seemed inappropriate, or if the Nom was in a fussy stage, or if the restaurant was full and busy...no go. This is common sense. The OP's friend should be clued in to the fact that her kids are not ready for restaurant time.

Smitty

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »
When I see kids in a pub or bar setting, I feel kind of bad for them. A bar is such an adult-oriented establishment, it just doesn't seem like a place kids can enjoy their meal and feel welcome. I think usually it's the parents that want to go there, and they are trying to make it work by bringing the kids along. I know when I go to a bar, I wouldn't be too happy about being seated next to a booth of screaming toddlers. If I wanted to go to a family-friendly place, I would - there are plenty of them. I go to a bar or pub for a particular atmosphere, which is generally adult-only.

Feberin

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »
I don't think pub=not for kids.  We have a nearby fake English pub resturant that has a kids eat free night, which makes me feel that they are trying to attact families.  Of course they also have high chairs and a kids' menu.

jaxsue

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 10:14:44 AM »
When I was in N. Ireland pubs were quite kid-friendly during the day. It was at night that they became adults only.

The real pub feel is so different from an American bar. TBH, I loved pubs. I was in at least one every day I was there. Great food, loved the shandies. I wish there were some "true" pubs here in the US!