Author Topic: Naming Names  (Read 29770 times)

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Re: Naming Names
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »
To be perfectly honest, my mermaid experience is somewhat limited, but all the mermaids I've ever seen (okay, the Disney one and the one there's the statue of in Copenhagen) have just one tail.

One wonders if Aqua-Starbuck has a forked tail from some weird caffeine mutation.
As a barista, I have to do it. :P

The woman in our logo is not a mermaid. She's actually a depiction of the Norse Siren, a mythical creature that lured ships to their demise with her song. In 16th century Norse depictions, she had two tails. Starbucks uses the Siren for a lot of it's in-house communications. For instance, the planning sheets that spell out merchandise layouts are called "Siren's Eye"s.

The heraldic term for the beast/creature is a Melusine (differenced from a mermaid by said forked tail). 

I loathe the text-speak and work-arounds if one is going to replace characters instead of words; I follow "green apron coffee" or "orange apron tools" adequately, but I understand the frustration of those who are not immersed in the US culture sufficiently to instantly parse either those or "Ancient Mariner". 

Personally, I think it would be hysterical to format a post which named as many diverse businesses as reasonably possible - but then, I like to mess with search algorithms.   
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
I think people do it for a number of reasons: 1) to avoid triggering ads,

Here's my (tangential) question, then: Why are people here so vigilant about ads?  The answer is probably obvious, but I can't come up with one that doesn't seem a little odd to me.  I've never seen another message board in which the posters were so concerned about the banner ads. The "L word" has been censored because of ads, and other words--like "boobs" and "sex"--posters censor on their own, with stuff like "bewbs" and "s3x."  I'm sure it has something to do with triggering an ad that offends someone's sensibilities, but can't people just look away?  Not click on an ad that offends them?  And what would be offensive about an ad for Target or Starbucks showing up in a thread that mentions them?  And would the banner ads here really be that offensive--doesn't the site owner have some control over what type of ads can run here?

I'm not angry or anything (although "bewbs" drives me completely insane), just really curious; I've probably given it more thought than it deserves.  (And I'm now afraid that this post will trigger the offensive ad to top all offensive ads.)

Unfortunately, some of the banner ads that pop up are really inappropriate for the forum.  They're of a very vulgar nature or lead to sites that the forum doesn't want to be connected with.  The best way to prevent those ads from popping up is by not using those brand names.

Also, since this forum isn't there for promotion of products and services, or even to rate them, we'd rather not get more specific because that can be distracting from the real focus, which is the etiquette of a situation.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 08:15:43 PM »

Also, since this forum isn't there for promotion of products and services, or even to rate them, we'd rather not get more specific because that can be distracting from the real focus, which is the etiquette of a situation.
I disagree and believe that your "we'd rather" is actually very person-specific. IMO, using the cutesy get around is actually MORE distracting to the etiquette issue than just saying "While I was at Target." And since we need not fear any salacious Target ads, it's wasted effort to try to avoid them.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »
I have to agree with Shores - I've never seen any of the mods say to not post the name of a store - unless you (general) can point out where they have I think it makes a lot more sense to just name names - I've also seen not naming leading to lots of OT speculation about what the store etc is - and I can't see how that helps anyone!

Ligeia

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 09:22:33 PM »

Here's my (tangential) question, then: Why are people here so vigilant about ads?  The answer is probably obvious, but I can't come up with one that doesn't seem a little odd to me.  I've never seen another message board in which the posters were so concerned about the banner ads. The "L word" has been censored because of ads, and other words--like "boobs" and "sex"--posters censor on their own, with stuff like "bewbs" and "s3x."  I'm sure it has something to do with triggering an ad that offends someone's sensibilities, but can't people just look away?  Not click on an ad that offends them?  And what would be offensive about an ad for Target or Starbucks showing up in a thread that mentions them?  And would the banner ads here really be that offensive--doesn't the site owner have some control over what type of ads can run here?

I'm not angry or anything (although "bewbs" drives me completely insane), just really curious; I've probably given it more thought than it deserves.  (And I'm now afraid that this post will trigger the offensive ad to top all offensive ads.)

Unfortunately, some of the banner ads that pop up are really inappropriate for the forum.  They're of a very vulgar nature or lead to sites that the forum doesn't want to be connected with.  The best way to prevent those ads from popping up is by not using those brand names.

I guess I just think it's a little odd for forum members to be so concerned with the ads; if the forum admins don't want the forum to be associated with certain ads, that's another thing.  Indeed it makes sense that an etiquette forum would want to avoid vulgar ads as a courtesy to the members, so I'm actually surprised that there's user-generated advertising here in the first place.  (If that's what the banner ads are.  I know nothing about internet advertising, obviously.)  As a forum member, however, I'd much rather look away from user-generated ads or not click on them than write "bewbs" or "bullseye store."  (Not that I often have a need to write about boobs, either.)

Again, I'm not criticizing, just curious--just explaining why I've found the vigilance about the ads among forum members surprising.  Actually, it's nice in a way that the members are so careful about ad-triggering, though it can be a tad off-putting as well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:36:28 PM by Ligeia »

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
I actually don't think I've seen vulgar banner-ads triggered simply because of the name of a retailer.  I think that they happen a lot more often when people try to be vague......

And I truly don't think that Target, Home Depot, Sears or whoever has the time or resources to monitor hundreds of online forums each day and decide to sue anyone who mentions "the rude woman who cut in front of me at whatever-store!"  But really - unless it's a store-policy issue, does it really matter what particular store it was?  What's wrong with just mentioning "supermarket" "home improvement store" "bath and linens store" etc.?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:07 PM »

Not only have I never seen an ad for Target or Home Depot or Nordstrom or whatever triggered by the use of actual retail names, I'm not sure what difference it would make if we DID see one. We get ads anyway. As long as they're not objectionable in nature, why would anyone care?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »
Oh - also wanted to ad that even in relating negative experiences, I defy anyone at Target to pull every mention of the word "target" from Google to search for random people to sue for libel. ;) Ain't gonna happen.

In most cases, though, I don't see why people don't just say, "I was at the store". In the vast majority of the posts I read, which particular store the poster visited is entirely irrelevant.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 11:02:59 PM »
Oh - also wanted to ad that even in relating negative experiences, I defy anyone at Target to pull every mention of the word "target" from Google to search for random people to sue for libel. ;) Ain't gonna happen.

In most cases, though, I don't see why people don't just say, "I was at the store". In the vast majority of the posts I read, which particular store the poster visited is entirely irrelevant.

Overall I agree - though sometimes I think the particular type of store might be relevant.  For example, a customer is at a home-improvement store and decides to wait till he/she is at the cashier to ask whether or not this particular extension cord will work with his lamp, thereby delaying everyone else in line.  Stores such as grocery stores or convenience stores generally don't have this kind of problem, though I will agree that anything is possible...

Spoder

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »
<snipp> "bewbs" drives me completely insane <snip>

I'm so glad it's rarely used, because I can't even stand to read threads with this word in them. It makes me feel like a scabby-nosed 8-year-old boy sniggering behind the bike-shed.

Surely the term 'chicken breasts' is used in the recipe folder, for example? It's just a word, for goodness' sake.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »

Since I have said many negative things about WalMart on Facebook and I mean negative I don't think libel is too much of a thing to worry about, either.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »
Isn't libel saying lies? If you really were treated badly at whatever store then it isn't a lie and isn't libel.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »
Just wanted to add that with all the store names (and the word breasts) in this thread, my banner ad was for some lawyers, with a picture of a monkey on it.

I don't think that saying store names is going to make a huge difference. to what banner ad you get, and I don't tend to notice them either. Except when it's the one for that wrap dress, which I really kind of want  ;). I don't understand why a target ad or a subway ad would be questionable. they aren't offensive, and I'm kind of surprised that that's the reason people avoid using store names!

Germane Jackson

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 11:27:42 PM »
My banner ad is for my mobile phone provider. I used to get this annoying one for horoscopes that chimed any time my mouse went anywhere near it.

I don't see the harm in naming the store either. It's not like somebody is saying, "The Target located at 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA".

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 11:48:05 PM »
As a non-American, it drives me NUTS! Sometimes I can figure it out, most times I spend the whole time trying to work it out and completely forget about the question. It is very distracting.

And the current ad is for underfloor heating, so make of that what you will!

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)