Author Topic: Naming Names  (Read 28308 times)

Ligeia

Re: Naming Names
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 12:34:49 AM »
<snipp> "bewbs" drives me completely insane <snip>

I'm so glad it's rarely used, because I can't even stand to read threads with this word in them. It makes me feel like a scabby-nosed 8-year-old boy sniggering behind the bike-shed.

Surely the term 'chicken breasts' is used in the recipe folder, for example? It's just a word, for goodness' sake.

Exactly!  It doesn't help that I pronounce it in my head as "byoobs." When I asked once why everyone was using it and was told it was to avoid certain ads, my next questions were "What do I care about the kind of banner ads that display at the top of the page?" and then "This forum has raunchy user-generated ads?!" I didn't ask them out loud until now, though!

I may be weird and this may be wrong to admit, but I never pay attention to ads at all.

PrincessInPink

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 01:01:24 AM »
I can understand why some people don't want to name stores specifically, but what I don't understand is the reasoning behind making up a cutesy name instead of just saying "a department store" or "a sandwich chain" or whatever. If you have a reason for not naming the store, why drop hints?

Spoder

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 01:05:36 AM »
I can understand why some people don't want to name stores specifically, but what I don't understand is the reasoning behind making up a cutesy name instead of just saying "a department store" or "a sandwich chain" or whatever. If you have a reason for not naming the store, why drop hints?

That's what bugs me, too. Especially when it's something like 'the orange apron store'. I can usually tell from the rest of the post what type of store they're talking about - but it does make for some initial confusion, which could be avoided by just saying 'big hardware store' or whatever.

PrincessInPink

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 01:13:22 AM »

That's what bugs me, too. Especially when it's something like 'the orange apron store'. I can usually tell from the rest of the post what type of store they're talking about - but it does make for some initial confusion, which could be avoided by just saying 'big hardware store' or whatever.

Exactly. Saying the type of store is much more helpful. Especially since several people in this thread have said that they can't always figure out what the nicknames are referring to.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 02:13:51 AM »

Exactly. Saying the type of store is much more helpful. Especially since several people in this thread have said that they can't always figure out what the nicknames are referring to.

I've often had to open a tab to search for the type of store that is being discussed. That doesn't work if the someone is being coy about the name. I'm not familiar with a lot of chains people seem to take for granted.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »

Also, since this forum isn't there for promotion of products and services, or even to rate them, we'd rather not get more specific because that can be distracting from the real focus, which is the etiquette of a situation.
I disagree and believe that your "we'd rather" is actually very person-specific. IMO, using the cutesy get around is actually MORE distracting to the etiquette issue than just saying "While I was at Target." And since we need not fear any salacious Target ads, it's wasted effort to try to avoid them.

I don't disagree that the cutesy get-around is distracting and annoying, but I won't argue the issue of what "we'd rather" means.  Let's agree to disagree on that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:35:44 PM by Lisbeth »
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »

Also, since this forum isn't there for promotion of products and services, or even to rate them, we'd rather not get more specific because that can be distracting from the real focus, which is the etiquette of a situation.
I disagree and believe that your "we'd rather" is actually very person-specific. IMO, using the cutesy get around is actually MORE distracting to the etiquette issue than just saying "While I was at Target." And since we need not fear any salacious Target ads, it's wasted effort to try to avoid them.

No one has to agree with me.  I never suggested anything of the sort.

True, but the way it was worded *did* suggest it was an official policy.

Lisbeth

• A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 12:36:48 PM »

I just edited my response, so I don't see that this is worth arguing.
NYC

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 12:39:17 PM »

I wasn't trying to argue, just explain - and how in the world would I have known you had edited your response?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »
I always write out the name of the store, and I also write out the relationship of the people I am writing about.  I don't use DD for daughter, or DH for husband.  It gets kind of ridiculous when talking about step-mother-inlaws, and the like.  I find those abbreviations to be as distracting as using a cutesy name for a store or restaurant.

Lisbeth

• A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »

I wasn't trying to argue, just explain - and how in the world would I have known you had edited your response?

You wouldn't-but I still don't see that it's necessary to discuss it, especially in view of the fact that I did edit it.
NYC

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »

You wouldn't-but I still don't see that it's necessary to discuss it, especially in view of the fact that I did edit it.

Lol you're kidding right?  My point was I had no way of knowing you *had* edited your post - I'm cool with not discussing it but as far as I know you don't get to decide how people reply to your posts, and honestly claiming "oh I edited it" just makes you look disingenuous. 

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 01:00:24 PM »

Lol you're kidding right?  My point was I had no way of knowing you *had* edited your post - I'm cool with not discussing it but as far as I know you don't get to decide how people reply to your posts, and honestly claiming "oh I edited it" just makes you look disingenuous.

Yeah, I actually feel like discussing it.

Whether it was intentional or not, the wording used did, as a PP stated, give the impression that it was official policy and I think it's important to clarify for any newer poster who are reading and becoming confused: There is no official policy or rule that all store names be obscured. The fear of offensive ads is present (although to even call it a fear is a stretch, IMO) but the average adult knows darn well which words would cause those ads to appear and which do not.

If one feels that posting the name of the store would cause distraction, it's my personal suggestion that the poster then simply say "a hardware store" to avoid the guessing games that "the orange apron store" would create. But again, there is nothing in the rules on this and as neither I not anyone else in this thread, regardless of history or number of posts, is a mod everything posted in this thread from all posters is merely personal thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:03:51 PM by Shores »
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 01:09:28 PM »

I'm confused as to for whom you are speaking when you say "we'd rather".  Are you speaking for EHellDame, the admins (EHellDame and Ticia), the mods, the senior posters, all the posters?

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 01:16:37 PM »
No, you're not alone!  I only have so much brain power available for each day.  Every time I get caught up in trying to figure out what store is mentioned, I increase my chances of forgetting that I've put dinner on the stove or something.  ;D