Author Topic: Naming Names  (Read 27826 times)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Naming Names
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
Also, since this forum isn't there for promotion of products and services, or even to rate them, we'd rather not get more specific because that can be distracting from the real focus, which is the etiquette of a situation.

I'm confused as to for whom you are speaking when you say "we'd rather".  Are you speaking for EHellDame, the admins (EHellDame and Ticia), the mods, the senior posters, all the posters?

I think I'm speaking for those posters who do engage in the practice.  Just to clarify, I don't like the cutesiness either, but neither do I like some of the ads that pop-up when real names are used.  That's probably true of everyone, but our opinions don't all agree on whether or not real names should be used.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
Also, since this forum isn't there for promotion of products and services, or even to rate them, we'd rather not get more specific because that can be distracting from the real focus, which is the etiquette of a situation.

I'm confused as to for whom you are speaking when you say "we'd rather".  Are you speaking for EHellDame, the admins (EHellDame and Ticia), the mods, the senior posters, all the posters?

I think I'm speaking for those posters who do engage in the practice.  Just to clarify, I don't like the cutesiness either, but neither do I like some of the ads that pop-up when real names are used.  That's probably true of everyone, but our opinions don't all agree on whether or not real names should be used.

Interesting.  It comes across very "Royal We", so I thought I would seek clarification that you meant only a subset of posters felt that way -- I'd prefer to clarify any confusion that other, newer members might experience upon reading such a statement from a poster who has clearly been on the board for some time (simply going from post count).

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
In most cases, though, I don't see why people don't just say, "I was at the store". In the vast majority of the posts I read, which particular store the poster visited is entirely irrelevant.

In Houston, whether it's a Wal-Mart or a Target is - well, not necessarily relevant, but it adds a level of detail. Targets here are clean, well-lit, well-stocked, and pleasant to be in. Wal-Marts are not.
Words mean things.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 01:40:23 PM »
And the current ad is for underfloor heating, so make of that what you will!

Underfloor heating? I am SCANDALIZED!!!!  ;D
Words mean things.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 01:46:42 PM »
And the current ad is for underfloor heating, so make of that what you will!

Underfloor heating? I am SCANDALIZED!!!!  ;D

ROFL!

I'm currently being exhorted to buy acne cream and contact a lawyer.  Perhaps it means I should sue my dermatologist...

Shiraz_Much?

• formerly celtic1973
  • Good wine is a necessity of life for me -Jefferson
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 02:15:39 PM »
Besides, doesn't each individual person get a different ad? Just because Person A gets an ad that is "inappropriate"  doesn't mean that Person B will.
FWIW- on this thread (even with all the boob talk) I have seen ads for a coffee shop and an art institute. Hardly shocking.

New York
My soul is adrift in oceans of madness - Disturbed

Wine is sunlight, held together by water! - Galileo Gallilei

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »
Isn't libel saying lies? If you really were treated badly at whatever store then it isn't a lie and isn't libel.

Correct.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
In most cases, though, I don't see why people don't just say, "I was at the store". In the vast majority of the posts I read, which particular store the poster visited is entirely irrelevant.

In Houston, whether it's a Wal-Mart or a Target is - well, not necessarily relevant, but it adds a level of detail. Targets here are clean, well-lit, well-stocked, and pleasant to be in. Wal-Marts are not.

Well, you won't hear me complaining if anyone names the store. The only thing I'm against is twee, cutesy faux names. But I do think people sometimes go out of their way to name a store when it ultimately makes no difference to the story.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »
Besides, doesn't each individual person get a different ad? Just because Person A gets an ad that is "inappropriate"  doesn't mean that Person B will.
FWIW- on this thread (even with all the boob talk) I have seen ads for a coffee shop and an art institute. Hardly shocking.

I think that's probably the case. I doubt the Americans are going to get the "University of Canada West" ad that I just got reading this thread. Plus, I clicked on the "wrap dress" ad once and now I get it really frequently.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »

I rarely notice the ads at the top of the page - it's usually just one and easily ignored. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »
*Ahem*

I know this is a Hot Topic, but to the posters who say that the cutesy store names are annoying, and we should use the real names or none at all, I say you are right on Target.  If there's one thing we can all agree on, whether we are separated by Gulfs or shallows, whether we are experiencing highs or Lowes, it's that we all strive for better communication.  The idea that Sears into my brain is that we should be able to talk freely... and no, I don't mean using blue words like some Old Navy person... I mean if we want to name the fast food joint where we got our Frys, then by golly, we should be able to... because that helps us bridge the Gap of understanding, and ensure that we don't come off like a bunch of wingadingdingies.

(Letting the auto-censor handle that last one, hehe.)

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
*Ahem*

I know this is a Hot Topic, but to the posters who say that the cutesy store names are annoying, and we should use the real names or none at all, I say you are right on Target.  If there's one thing we can all agree on, whether we are separated by Gulfs or shallows, whether we are experiencing highs or Lowes, it's that we all strive for better communication.  The idea that Sears into my brain is that we should be able to talk freely... and no, I don't mean using blue words like some Old Navy person... I mean if we want to name the fast food joint where we got our Frys, then by golly, we should be able to... because that helps us bridge the Gap of understanding, and ensure that we don't come off like a bunch of wingadingdingies.

(Letting the auto-censor handle that last one, hehe.)

I love you :)

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

CakeBeret

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »
ensure that we don't come off like a bunch of wingadingdingies.

The 12-year-old in me never ceases to be amused by the wingadingdingies autocorrect.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Ligeia

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 05:36:37 PM »
I rarely notice the ads at the top of the page - it's usually just one and easily ignored.

Yeah, that's what I said--I never pay attention to the ads, and thus am curious about the hyper-vigilance about them among forum members. I just looked; mine is about some small-business software, and I'm the one who's said 'boobs' a number of times (as well as 'sex'). Many store names have been used in this thread.

Has anyone ever seen a really vulgar ad on this site?  If so, would you really rather use silly names and text-speak--or just avoid clicking on it before it inevitably changes?  And would it really bother you to see an ad for, say, Home Depot because somebody mentioned it in a thread?

chamoisbear

• Auntie Venom is my hero!
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 08:23:53 PM »
I don't know about any of your computers, but the ads that I get seem to be connected to the "cookies" on my computer.  For instance, last week my hubby emailed me about a bean bag chair that he wanted.  I went to look at the web site, and the next time my screen refreshed on ehell, the ad at the top of the page was for that bean bag chair web site, which had nothing to do with anything discussed here.  I've noticed it quite a bit that my ads are for web sites that I've visited recently.  It might not have much to do with key words at all.