Author Topic: Naming Names  (Read 29398 times)

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
Re: Naming Names
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »
Tee Hee  ;D ;D ;D

My banner ad just changed to a podiatrist! Warm Feet don't fail me now!

Let's not start discussing warming toilet seats!  :)
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
Aaand I just got a Home Depot ad. Perfect. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

jmarvellous

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2011, 12:30:38 PM »
Aaaaand ... thanks to this thread being all about ads, I'm getting ads for cheap advertising!

Ad(d) me to the dogpile of people who are familiar (reasonably so) with retailers but don't appreciate having to suss it out each time. I find it distracting from the original intent of the thread, which is usually not the specific details of that store/restaurant/attraction.

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »
I use Adsense on my blogs. I recently noticed "weird" ads. I posted a message to apologize for those, and that's when I realized that I could block "sensitive" ads (ones dealing with online d@ting, religion, politics, sex, things like that) . Imagine my glee when I blocked some of those things and went back to the blog to see the "bad" ads gone :P ...
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

Ligeia

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
^ Yeah, and I assumed admins could do that here, too.  If not, that's fine, but it looks like the self-censoring is kind of pointless when the most objectionable ad I've seen here was for WalMart.  ;)

I've never seen an ad for a "house of ill repute" anywhere; how funny!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »

However, I do find it easy to type WMart instead of WalMart. I hope that is accpetable.

That's shorthand, not being cutesy. ;)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2011, 09:50:24 PM »

However, I do find it easy to type WMart instead of WalMart. I hope that is accpetable.

That's shorthand, not being cutesy. ;)

;D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2011, 07:15:31 AM »
It's distracting to me to disguise anything, not just store names because I spend half the politics/religion threads trying to guess correctly before giving my advice.

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:30 PM »
I'm not sure about other browsers, but with Safari, I installed an extension that show you who is tracking you while browsing.  The extension is called Ghostery for anyone who wants to know.  In other words, those annoying ad banners are gone.  I get a little bubble that pops up for a few seconds telling me what company it is (you can turn that off too) and then it goes away.  I can surf the web without seeing a single ad banner.  I'm sure other browsers have something similar if people are so concerned about ad banners popping up. 

I do wish people would just use the real name.  I feel like one is not fooling people if one says, "I was at the national chain coffee shop that rhymes with barbucks...."  Just come out and say what it is.  Now if I tell you a name of a local store that's just around here, it might out me if I'm trying to not put too much identifying information about myself.  In that case I'd say, "I was at the local hardware store....." without giving away anything more than I need to. 

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
I hate the cutesy nicknames. I live in Idaho. Nowhereville, Idaho. We don't have most store chains. I have no idea what you are referring to.

And am I the only one who uses adblock? :P
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

MrTango

« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »
I hate the cutesy nicknames. I live in Idaho. Nowhereville, Idaho. We don't have most store chains. I have no idea what you are referring to.

I use adblock on my home PC, but at work it's not an option.  I have disabled Flash on my work PC, which eliminates video and audio ads.

The entire concept of Adblock might be an interesting discussion topic (the debate of depriving site owners of revenue vs. the right of a PC owner to decide what is displayed on their machine)

Ligeia

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »

I was wondering the same thing, but haven't brought it up because I thought it might be a forbidden topic or something.  Before I started reading the site on my phone, I hadn't seen an online ad in years--which made the worry about the ads here especially confusing.  On my phone, however, I have no such program, so I've been noticing the ads lately; they've all been totally innocuous no matter what I or anyone else posts (and they're totally irrelevant to me--a lot of wedding-related stuff at the moment, and since my wedding was years ago, I'm not interested).

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »

I was wondering the same thing, but haven't brought it up because I thought it might be a forbidden topic or something.  Before I started reading the site on my phone, I hadn't seen an online ad in years--which made the worry about the ads here especially confusing.  On my phone, however, I have no such program, so I've been noticing the ads lately; they've all been totally innocuous no matter what I or anyone else posts (and they're totally irrelevant to me--a lot of wedding-related stuff at the moment, and since my wedding was years ago, I'm not interested).

Every time I allow ads, I get a virus from somewhere. No more ads. But when I've seen them before [I've gone through 2 computers in the past six months...lots of replacing things ::) ], they've all been innocuous from Ehell. Not raunchy at all. ???
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

lmyrs

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2011, 03:33:52 PM »
I think people do it for a number of reasons: 1) to avoid triggering ads, 2) if they're going to relate a negative experience and don't want to put the store's name in their post and end up accused of libel or something, or 3) to avoid a digression in the thread where posters end up discussing the store instead of the etiquette issue.  My preference is to either use the store's name or keep it generic ("I was at the grocery store" "I was at a big box electronics store") unless the specific store is central to the story, but I understand why people try to be specific -- nearly everyone (in North America) knows what kind of store Target is and what you can generally find there, so it's easier than trying to explain what kind of store you were at, and it sometimes makes your story more interesting if you can include specific details instead of generic.

I don't think there's any stated board policy one way or the other, though.

I understand what Hardia is saying here and I also understand most of the other posters in this thread, but I do have a couple of things:

1. The original question in this post was specifically about retailers, so while it is interesting to hear about why some people self-censor certain words, it's not really the same question as self-censor on retailers' names. So, I think "we're trying to avoid inappropriate ads" is kind of a silly reason to disguise a retailer's name. I mean an ad is an ad, they're all selling something. Is it really more appropriate to show an ad for an online school than for Home Depot?

2. I think the libel thing has been addressed by others, but in my own opinion, it's sort of a non-issue for two reasons: (a) Wal-Mart or Target or McDonald's or whoever has about a 0.000000001% chance of ever even finding this thread unless someone points it out to them and (b) all of the American judge shows that I watch assure me that telling the truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.

3. I think that using cutesy names derails the thread more than not using them. Because if you are using the cutesy name, half of the people are going to be trying to figure out what store you meant and a lot of us non-Americans never figure it out and end up distracted from the thread trying to figure it out. And if you're using "BullsEye Store" because you're worried that if you write "Target" it will derail, well, why wouldn't you just write "Department Store" or whatever.

The bottom line for me is this: If the author of the post wants the readers to know which store they are talking about, they should name the store. If they don't want readers to know which store, they should use the generic "Hardware Store" or "Grocery Store". Because some of your readers will know that "BullsEye" means "Target" and some of your readers won't know. So, you're not meeting your goal of either identifying or hiding the identity of the store.

Hardia, I also want to say very clearly that I am not picking on your post. I just went back and found your post from the beginning of the thread because I think you did an excellent job of clearly outlining the major reasons why most people in this thread are self-censoring themselves and I liked how you did it and it made it easier for me to formulate my response to the thread.

hardia

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
Oh, no that's fine (and thanks for the compliment!).  I don't necessarily agree with any of those three reasons, they're just the ones I have seen people mention, or that I've seen mentioned on other boards when similar discussions come up.  As I said, like you, I'm in favour of either naming the specific store, if it's a detail that makes a difference in the story, or using a generic "grocery store" "big box electronics store" if it doesn't matter and for whatever reason the poster wants to obscure identifying details.  I don't get too fussed about people doing it other ways, but I do find the cutesy names or convoluted analogies do make the posts harder to follow sometime.

Ontario, Canada