News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 04:19:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Naming Names  (Read 59441 times)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
Re: Naming Names
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »
I've found some great shopping on some of the ads I've clicked. And even if it's something I can't afford, it's fun to look and even to bookmark!
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

SiotehCat

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »
I don't know if its different for other people, but the ads really arent that big for me. They are long but skinny.

Also, most of my ads are for companies that I already do business with. I bought some things at the Under Armour store, and now I get UA ads.

Ticia

« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »
I have a Chili's ad right now. Mmmmm. Now I'm hungry.
Utah

Brentwood

« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »
I have a Chili's ad right now. Mmmmm. Now I'm hungry.

My ad is for Carrington College. Are they trying to tell me something? ;)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2011, 07:16:40 PM »
I have an ad for ESPN New York.com.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

dawbs

« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »
*snip*

2. I think the libel thing has been addressed by others, but in my own opinion, it's sort of a non-issue for two reasons: (a) Wal-Mart or Target or McDonald's or whoever has about a 0.000000001% chance of ever even finding this thread unless someone points it out to them and (b) all of the American judge shows that I watch assure me that telling the truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.
*snip*

Am I the only person who has named a company on the world-wide-inerwebs, somewhere on a message board, and then had a representative of that company create a handle in order to defend themselves/derail the discussion (and, IMO, be truly obnoxious and call me a liar)?

I don't think it's far-fetched to think that some of that could indeed follow people here. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2011, 01:55:17 AM »
EHellDame, do you have any say on which ads are shown in other countries? I'm in Denmark, and get some really, really disturbing ads for the Danish version of PETA :(

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2011, 01:59:39 AM »
*snip*

2. I think the libel thing has been addressed by others, but in my own opinion, it's sort of a non-issue for two reasons: (a) Wal-Mart or Target or McDonald's or whoever has about a 0.000000001% chance of ever even finding this thread unless someone points it out to them and (b) all of the American judge shows that I watch assure me that telling the truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.
*snip*

Let's face it though, a corporate troll coming here would be a hilariously bad idea for them.

Am I the only person who has named a company on the world-wide-inerwebs, somewhere on a message board, and then had a representative of that company create a handle in order to defend themselves/derail the discussion (and, IMO, be truly obnoxious and call me a liar)?

I don't think it's far-fetched to think that some of that could indeed follow people here.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2011, 05:27:07 AM »
EHellDame, do you have any say on which ads are shown in other countries? I'm in Denmark, and get some really, really disturbing ads for the Danish version of PETA :(

I can block any ad I want BUT I need the URL of the business the ad is directing people to.   Like  www.denmarkPETAdotcom for example. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2011, 06:49:46 AM »

I can block any ad I want BUT I need the URL of the business the ad is directing people to.   Like  www.denmarkPETAdotcom for example.

I did not know this could be done.  That.  Is.  COOL.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2011, 01:38:42 AM »

Apparently, I just needed to complain as I haven't seen it since :) But good to know that something can be done about it if I do. Thanks!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

aventurine

• Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »

Apparently, I just needed to complain as I haven't seen it since :) But good to know that something can be done about it if I do. Thanks!

Heh, last night I whined in the "drives you crazy" thread about the insurance ad with the woman doing flips, and I haven't seen that one since, either. 

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx