Author Topic: Naming Names  (Read 29546 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Re: Naming Names
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
The ads are how we stay in business, and if people block them, we can't afford the hosting of the forum, please don't block the ads, or announce that you are blocking the ads.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2011, 02:34:09 PM »
I've found some great shopping on some of the ads I've clicked. And even if it's something I can't afford, it's fun to look and even to bookmark!
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

SiotehCat

« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
I don't know if its different for other people, but the ads really arent that big for me. They are long but skinny.

Also, most of my ads are for companies that I already do business with. I bought some things at the Under Armour store, and now I get UA ads.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2011, 06:16:17 PM »
I have a Chili's ad right now. Mmmmm. Now I'm hungry.
Utah

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
I have a Chili's ad right now. Mmmmm. Now I'm hungry.

My ad is for Carrington College. Are they trying to tell me something? ;)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2011, 08:16:40 PM »
I have an ad for ESPN New York.com.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

dawbs

« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2011, 09:26:32 PM »
*snip*

2. I think the libel thing has been addressed by others, but in my own opinion, it's sort of a non-issue for two reasons: (a) Wal-Mart or Target or McDonald's or whoever has about a 0.000000001% chance of ever even finding this thread unless someone points it out to them and (b) all of the American judge shows that I watch assure me that telling the truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.
*snip*

Am I the only person who has named a company on the world-wide-inerwebs, somewhere on a message board, and then had a representative of that company create a handle in order to defend themselves/derail the discussion (and, IMO, be truly obnoxious and call me a liar)?

I don't think it's far-fetched to think that some of that could indeed follow people here. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2011, 02:55:17 AM »
EHellDame, do you have any say on which ads are shown in other countries? I'm in Denmark, and get some really, really disturbing ads for the Danish version of PETA :(

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2011, 02:59:39 AM »
*snip*

2. I think the libel thing has been addressed by others, but in my own opinion, it's sort of a non-issue for two reasons: (a) Wal-Mart or Target or McDonald's or whoever has about a 0.000000001% chance of ever even finding this thread unless someone points it out to them and (b) all of the American judge shows that I watch assure me that telling the truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.
*snip*

Let's face it though, a corporate troll coming here would be a hilariously bad idea for them.

Am I the only person who has named a company on the world-wide-inerwebs, somewhere on a message board, and then had a representative of that company create a handle in order to defend themselves/derail the discussion (and, IMO, be truly obnoxious and call me a liar)?

I don't think it's far-fetched to think that some of that could indeed follow people here.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2011, 06:27:07 AM »
EHellDame, do you have any say on which ads are shown in other countries? I'm in Denmark, and get some really, really disturbing ads for the Danish version of PETA :(

I can block any ad I want BUT I need the URL of the business the ad is directing people to.   Like  www.denmarkPETAdotcom for example. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »

I can block any ad I want BUT I need the URL of the business the ad is directing people to.   Like  www.denmarkPETAdotcom for example.

I did not know this could be done.  That.  Is.  COOL.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2011, 02:38:42 AM »

Apparently, I just needed to complain as I haven't seen it since :) But good to know that something can be done about it if I do. Thanks!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2011, 04:22:12 PM »

Apparently, I just needed to complain as I haven't seen it since :) But good to know that something can be done about it if I do. Thanks!

Heh, last night I whined in the "drives you crazy" thread about the insurance ad with the woman doing flips, and I haven't seen that one since, either. 

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx