Author Topic: Meet the Baby Party  (Read 6541 times)

CoffeeZombieMommy

Meet the Baby Party
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:24:54 PM »
I'm currently 8 months pregnant with my 2nd and have successfully deflected all baby shower inquires.  I would however like to throw a meet the baby party.

I know there is a lot of posts about having a party after the baby is born.  But I'm not sure where to start...

Can I host it?  Should my mom?  Does it matter?  It will be at her house either way since she has the space.

I was thinking open house style.  Is this okay?

It will probably end up being co-ed.  Is this okay for meet the baby?

I won't tell people I'm registered even though I do have a registry at the baby store so I can get the discount once she's born.

I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Meet the Baby Party
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:42:18 PM »
Open house and co-ed sound fine for a 'Meet the Baby' party.  If anyone asks if you are registered, you could certainly tell them but I agree that you don't want to put that in the invitations.

I'm not sure about the hosting aspect so hopefully others will weigh in. 

I've been to two 'Meet the Baby' parties.  They were both co-ed but they were hosted by someone else.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »
I don't think it matters who hosts it. And what you described sounds fine.

I'm not sure when exactly you plan on having this party, but will you be up for playing hostess or would you just want to be near your baby during the party (vs getting drinks, answering the door, etc).  I think for convenience it might be better for your mom to host it for you, but I don't think it's a matter of etiquette.

Wavicle

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »
The reason immediate family and especially the guest of honor are not supposed to host showers is because they are all about the gifts and the mom/bride. In this case, it would not be a strictly gift giving situation and you would mostly be throwing a party for the baby and not for yourself, I don't think the same rules would apply.

Ruelz

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »
I just responded to this issue in the other thread.

We had a Christening Party (our tradition) for each baby.  Same basic idea as a 'meet the baby'.  We held it in our church basement after the service.  Everyone came.  We provided the food.  Some people brought food as their contribution.

Gifts were small and NOT mandatory or expected - but fully appreciated.

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

567Kate

• Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »
There's no etiquette problem with hosting your own Meet the Baby party, but I think it's more of a practical issue, as bah12 mentions. If you're the hostess, you have to make sure the house is clean, everyone has drinks, people are being introduced, etc. If someone else is hosting the party, you can relax more and just have fun with the guests and the baby.

It's totally up to you though. Open house and co-ed are both fine (and how I would probably host such a thing).

Aggiesque

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:27:44 PM »
I would do it as you have suggested- at your home, as a come-and-go style party. That way you can be more relaxed and less in hosting mode! Provided you feel up to it, I think that'll be fine- it is what we will be doing as well.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 10:39:07 PM »
We had an impromptu one after DS #2's birth.  About 10 days after he was born (it was a weekend) all kinds of people phoned and asked if they could come to meet him and bring a gift.

Of course we could have said no (or at least "no" to everyone at once), but we said what-the-hey.  I think Dh arranged for take-out (those two years are a complete blur for me, our older son was only 15 months old).  There are a few pictures of Dh holding DS #1 and me with his baby brother, looking like a complete zombie with an untucked blouse.  However, I do remember vaguely enjoying it.

That being said - I agree that if the baby's parents are hosting it, definitely make it an open-house kind of party.  And no one is going to criticize you for having supermarket frozen-appetizers and pastries!

apple

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
I would invite people to a dinner, barbecue, luncheon, brunch or open house, and not advertise it as a Meet the Baby Party.

People will understand that you just had a baby, and that they will get to see the new family member.

Some will bring gifts.

I wouldn't create a gift registry for a second baby. I'm afraid it will look like fishing for gifts, even though that isn't your reason for doing it. And people will find out about the registry, whether you tell them up front or not.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:39:16 AM by apple »

saki

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »
We don't have showers in the UK and so "meet the baby" type parties are fairly common.  Most people - whether or not the new parents have a party, whether or not it's the first baby - will bring the new parents a gift for the baby.  What most new parents I know do is that they don't have a registry or anything but they do keep a private list (online or offline) of things that they need for the baby and so, when people ask (as they do) if there's anything in particular, they would like, they can name 2-3 things (of varying prices) and take them off the list.  It means that you get things that you need without looking greedy.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
I think a Meet the Baby party sounds great.  But are you going to be up to hosting it?  Maybe you have a good friend or family member who could help out with getting things ready?  I know that this time around (our first), I was still a total zombie by three weeks after the Munchkin was born; if my mom hadn't come over one day to help out, I'm not sure when I would have managed to get laundry done!

I wouldn't create a gift registry for a second baby. I'm afraid it will look like fishing for gifts, even though that isn't your reason for doing it. And people will find out about the registry, whether you tell them up front or not.

So the OP should forgo the savings on items she's going to have to buy anyway to avoid appearing gift-grabby?  Not being gift-grabby but looking as though she might be?  I'm sorry, but that's simply asking too much, and I think it's none of etiquette's business.

CoffeeZombieMommy

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input.

I haven't been to a meet the baby party because sadly showers for 2nd babies are the semi-norm in my group.  Everyone wanted me to have a shower and most keep asking when it is so this is the compromise.

I'm so glad no one has offered to throw one, it has helped that my sister has been out of the country for the last 9 months.  She's been my excuse as to why I'm waiting until after the baby is born.  I don't want her to miss out.

I will have my mom host at her house.  There isn't the parking or space for people at mine.  Added bonus is I won't have to clean, just show up.

I'm think about a month after should be fine.  With my son we went on a mini-vacation when he was a month old with no problems and his delivery was much more complicated than this one will be.

No one knows I'm registered so the only way they will find it is if they go to store or online where I registered and looked for it.  Southern Sugar is right it's the only way to get the discount, a wish list or shopping cart won't work.  Plus since this party will be after she's born I will have time to buy the stuff and close the registry before the party invites are issued.

mandycorn

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »
That sounds like a great plan. Have fun :D

And I don't see anything wrong with registering for the discount, especially if you close it out after you buy what you need. I kind of think if they go looking for a registry, they deserve whatever they find. Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer, ya know?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln