News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 09:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I wish there was a polite way to use Let Me Google That for You  (Read 4592 times)

Klein Bottle

Re: I wish there was a polite way to use Let Me Google That for You
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »
I'm suddenly feeling kinda bad about my "stupid questions" thread now. :(

I know a lot of the answers could be found by Googling the questions. But I've learned far more from the posters' answers here than I ever could by Googling it. I hope others have felt the same way.

Nah, that's one of the coolest threads on this entire forum!  I, too, have learned sooo much from reading it, and not all the questions posed therein are easily answered by Teh Googlez.  A good example would be the one I posed, regarding the pronunciation of a common Vietnamese surname.  Sure, if I had played around with it enough I could have found an answer somewhere, but how much more fun to ask this of fellow human beings.  It's interesting not only to learn from one another, but also to get the backstory on how people have learned what they know. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Bijou

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »
I  love it when someone asks a question that can be Googled.  It gives me an opportunity to look up things  that I ordinarily would not even think about researching.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Gabrielle

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »

I know a lot of the answers could be found by Googling the questions. But I've learned far more from the posters' answers here than I ever could by Googling it. I hope others have felt the same way.

I like that thread! I love reading it and I also love the fact that it means we don't get multiple threads asking "what is lasagne" all over the place. I think it's great.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 02:32:32 AM »
I have been guilty of it, for a bit. In my previous job I would sometimes ask 'what is [insert word] in [language]?
I'd get a translate link in return ;) I'd usually reply 'oh yeah, sorry :) '

I also get the reply that the internet is not always the most reliable source of information, but when it comes to opening and closing hours, phone numbers and quite widely known (and undisputed!) historical facts (like the wives of henry the 8th), the internet is a good source.

Bijou

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 02:51:10 AM »

I don't think it would go to 170 pages and 2537 posts if anyone thought it were a bad thread.  Personally, I love it. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

NutMeg

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 04:04:28 AM »
There are some things that Google just isn't going to help with, which is why the Stupid Questions thread is so full of awesome.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Smitty

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »
Don't feel bad about the Stupid Questions thread, that's not the sort of thing I mean at all. Her questions are literally things like "What time does the bank close today" or the names of Henry the VIII's wives. Stuff that is not open to a lot of interpretation or nuance, and that can be found quickly and easily by looking online. Granted, I haven't read through the whole Stupid Questions thread, but I'm pretty sure no one has asked what time their bank closes.

Akka

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »
I think there is a huge difference between a coworker asking questions all the time, and a forum thread.
You cannot always politely ignore a coworker, and the questions stop you from the thing you are doing at the time.
On the other hand you can choose not to participate in a thread if you don't feel like answering...

DottyG

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »
Don't feel bad about the Stupid Questions thread, that's not the sort of thing I mean at all.

Ok.  I feel better. :)  I thought it was, in part, a dig at that thread, because someone did say pretty much something about being able to Google their questions instead of needing to post in the thread.

Smitty

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »
Don't feel bad about the Stupid Questions thread, that's not the sort of thing I mean at all.

Ok.  I feel better. :)  I thought it was, in part, a dig at that thread, because someone did say pretty much something about being able to Google their questions instead of needing to post in the thread.

Oh dear - I can see why you'd wonder, then. I haven't seen that post in that thread, it's just an unfortunate coincidence.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 12:25:31 PM »

I really like the Stupid Questions thread.  I do think there have been a few in there that have made me thing "Just Google it!" but the vast majority of the questions are ones that are nuanced, or difficult to just google, or lead to interesting discussions.  I do know people like the OP was talking about, though.  I'm the type that, if I don't recognize a word or know who an actor is or something, I'll look it up, so it's a little foreign to me to see people who just straight out ask.  As a licensed but unemployed teacher, it's a reaction I try to curb, so I don't pass it on to my students - I want to teach them to be resourceful, but also not to be ashamed of not knowing something and asking questions.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »

I really like the Stupid Questions thread.  I do think there have been a few in there that have made me thing "Just Google it!" but the vast majority of the questions are ones that are nuanced, or difficult to just google, or lead to interesting discussions.  I do know people like the OP was talking about, though.  I'm the type that, if I don't recognize a word or know who an actor is or something, I'll look it up, so it's a little foreign to me to see people who just straight out ask.  As a licensed but unemployed teacher, it's a reaction I try to curb, so I don't pass it on to my students - I want to teach them to be resourceful, but also not to be ashamed of not knowing something and asking questions.

But then they learn to just demand that they be spoon-fed, and not to actually *look it up* - their definition of "resourceful" becomes "find somebody who knows". 

At the least they need to learn *when* to look it up, or to say, "I haven't had an opportunity to look this up" or "I looked this up but want to check my answer." 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

PrincessInPink

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »
But then they learn to just demand that they be spoon-fed, and not to actually *look it up* - their definition of "resourceful" becomes "find somebody who knows". 

At the least they need to learn *when* to look it up, or to say, "I haven't had an opportunity to look this up" or "I looked this up but want to check my answer." 

That's kind of what bugs me, too-- the attitude of some people who do this. I've known a number of people in my life who never try to find things out for themselves but just expect other people to do it for them. It can spread into other areas as well. My mother is like that sometimes. She'll ask me to help her with something and then when I do, I find out that she doesn't actually want "help"-- she just wants me to do it for her. And when I try to show her, step by step, how to do it herself, she refuses to pay attention. So the next time she has to do it, she still has no clue. It happens with technology, mostly, like her computer, iPod, and cell phone. It wouldn't bother me if she at least tried to make an effort, but she doesn't. That's the kind of attitude I was thinking of when I read the OP.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 01:27:51 PM »
Just for the record, I entered both "wives of Henry 8" and "what time does my bank close?"  ;D into lmgtfy and it produced valid results.

To be honest, I was kind of surprised at the bank one, since I didn't say *which* bank. But I still got a page of bank websites.

It was fun.  :)
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
It also depends on the culture of the environment.  In some places, just asking is perfectly acceptable, and the rude behavior, apparently, is to say that with less effort than it took to ask here, you could have looked it up for yourself.

Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.