News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 20, 2018, 09:33:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I wish there was a polite way to use Let Me Google That for You  (Read 4607 times)

DottyG

Re: I wish there was a polite way to use Let Me Google That for You
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
(Retracting my post, because I found that it was hurtful to another EHellion that I didn't intend to hurt.)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:19:30 PM by DottyG »

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Re: I wish there was a polite way to use Let Me Google That for You
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »
I am the Queen of Google.  Everyone knows that, if they need an answer to something, they can come to me, and I'll find the answer for them.  It's a part of the "research loving" part of me.

However, there is a time when it's ok to just ask someone else for an answer instead of automatically Googling it.  Google is fine, but it doesn't take the place of actual conversation and discussing something.

I say this, because I have just been criticised for not Googling something instead of asking a simple question from other poster.  And I have to say that it can come across as very rude if you automatically respond with "why didn't you Google this instead of asking us?"  Because I didn't Google it this time.  I decided to just ask.  It was my choice and I made it.

So be careful in urging people to Google the answers to their questions.  It's not always an appropriate response. :(

(Sorry, but I'm a little saddened by the person's comment right now.  It was a hurtful thing to say. :( )

And I did my best to soften my PM, and conceded in my post that here, apparently, and in other places, asking the question is not impolite, and that suggesting someone find the answer on their own *is*, in fact, rude. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.