News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 10:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Learn How to Park"  (Read 10812 times)

PinkWildRose

"Learn How to Park"
« on: August 06, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »

I went to dinner last night at a popular local restaurant.  The parking lot was crowded, but I managed to pull into a spot that someone else was vacating.  When I got back out to my car, after eating, there was a scratch along the passenger side; the kind that happens when another door opens too close.

Stuck in my windshield was the following note:
You hit my door.  Now you get a scratch too.  Maybe you should learn how to park.

I was driving alone.  I did not get out on the passenger side; I therefore could not have hit the door.  And on the driver's side, there was no vehicle beside me.  I was at the edge of the parking lot.  Now, I've never read about dinging a car in Emily Post, but I'd assume the correct etiquette would be to either go back into the venue and try to find the person who did it, or to take down the license number and file a report.  Damaging the other person's property seems rather excessive, ESPECIALLY considering I was not the one who hit the door!

I know I need to just calm down, but right now my teeth are grinding.  I didn't even cause the damage, and now somebody has self-righteously damaged MY car in an attempt at revenge on the wrong person!

jaxsue

Re: "Learn How to Park"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
That's terrible! I will admit to having the fantasy of scratching someone's car (such as when someone intentionally took up 4 prime parking spots at the local grocery store this past week) but that's as far as it goes. I've never touched someone else's car. That's crossing the line into criminal behavior.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Mean people s*ck.

immadz

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »
If there is video surrveillance from any of the stores, I would try to get it a file a report.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »
Sadly you probably never find out who did it. I can only suggest writing a letter to the editor of your local paper; maybe the person who did it will see it an recognize his- or herself.  Not that I think it would do a lot of good, unfortunately.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »
This afternoon I exited the grocery store to find that a work van had parked next to me...at an angle. After surveying the situation I figured that I could get out if I moved verrrry carefully, but I was still annoyed. I decided to write a note, and sat in the car a minute thinking about what to write. My first instinct was something like "You *&@&, learn to &*(^ park!" but as I am trying to spread pleasantness these days, I opted for, "Please be more considerate when you park. You are halfway angled into my spot and it was very hard to get out." Will it make a difference? Probably not; you don't just not notice that you're parked at an angle like that. But it made me feel better.

Retaliatory scratching belongs in a revenge fantasy, briefly toyed with, and then discarded. Acting it out is all kinds of wrong. 

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
I've mentioned it before - I have this insane urge to key any car that is so badly parked as to not be between the lines.  I have always fought it down.

Someone suggested that we create decals, like those bullet hole ones, that show a line of keying down the side of the car.  Leave the decal on the offensive vehicle, rather than actually keying it.

(((PWR)))
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

kitty-cat

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
I've mentioned it before - I have this insane urge to key any car that is so badly parked as to not be between the lines.  I have always fought it down.

Someone suggested that we create decals, like those bullet hole ones, that show a line of keying down the side of the car.  Leave the decal on the offensive vehicle, rather than actually keying it.

(((PWR)))

http://xkcd.com/562/

I've had to see bad parkers before and it is the worst thing on campus when the last spot in the lot is un-usable because someone is double parked.

NE Florida

EMuir

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 09:34:57 PM »
I ordered some fake "parking offense" tickets off the Internet.  They are obviously fake, with various humorous "offenses" that can be checked off.  They make me feel a ton better and hopefully remind the person to watch where they park.

Shopaholic

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 11:10:46 PM »
What my friends do to a parked car that is parked annoyingly so (too close, at an angle, in an inappropriate place, etc...) is to fold the passenger side mirror in.
It's an annoyance you usually only notice after you've started driving, but it does no harm to the vehicle.

Deliberately scratching someone else's car? I just can't get my  head around that one...

PinkWildRose

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 11:23:20 PM »
If there is video surrveillance from any of the stores, I would try to get it a file a report.

I already checked; no video surveillance.  I talked to the police station, and the only reason to file a report is apparently if I'm going through insurance to have it fixed, which I'm not, so I'm not going to bother.  The cop was at least sympathetic, though.

The most annoying thing is, I wasn't inappropriately parked!  I was right between the lines, an even amount of space on each side, and my car is small.

Klein Bottle

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 11:49:38 PM »
What my friends do to a parked car that is parked annoyingly so (too close, at an angle, in an inappropriate place, etc...) is to fold the passenger side mirror in.
It's an annoyance you usually only notice after you've started driving, but it does no harm to the vehicle.

Deliberately scratching someone else's car? I just can't get my  head around that one...

That could be more than an annoyance; it could be dangerous if the driver were to get on the highway and go to look in that mirror in order to change lanes, only to realize it is at a different angle.  (I don't personally tend to rely a lot on mirrors, preferring to physically look behind or alongside as much as possible, but if one's instinct/habit is to check the mirrors for lane change, it could be very disconcerting to find it rendered unusable.)  There also exists the possibility that I am overthinking this.    ;)  I just don't feel comfortable messing with other people's vehicles for any reason. 

I agree with Immadz, OP, that you should determine whether there are outside video cameras, to see if the culprit could be caught.  That is just so rude!  As P-Od as I have been from time to time, I would never vandalize anyone's property like that, and it troubles me that, evidently, there are people out in society who make a habit of this.  A couple weeks ago back home, my son and I went into the Dollar General and found someone's vehicle parked next to ours, straddling the lines so that my child was unable to get inside my car via the passenger door.  He had to crawl in through the driver side.  I just rolled my eyes and made a comment to my child about self-centered drivers. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Iris

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 12:00:03 AM »
And doesn't it just burn when someone accuses you of something wrongly and is unpleasant (or in this case, worse) and you have no way to refute their claims. That urge to say "Ha! YOU'RE the wrong one! Now apologise!" is soooooooooo strong. The only time I have ever felt really angry when I was driving was when someone abused me because I followed the correct lane markings but they didn't, so they thought I had cut them off. The frustrated urge to get out of my car and say "Look! Look where the lines go! I was right!" really made me lose my cool.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Friday

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 12:19:57 AM »
I've debated writing this one up before, and hesitated because my actions are on the verge of being inappropriate for here.  Verge.... not quite, and this thread seems the good place to put it.

I park downtown Minneapolis for work.  Big city, but not chicago/NY big.  You go up the ramp in a rectangle and the spots are angled.  there are two spots around the corner from the elevator (two on each floor) that are highly desirable and get parked in later in the rush.  WHy?  because you can't just pull into them.  It takes two tries after the sharp two corners to get there.  You just cant make three sharp turns and pull into either spot. 

I have a auto stick, and I've made it a skill set to do it as quick as possible, hold up traffice for as little time as possible.  I also open my door and look down to make sure I am indeed lined up with the lines and not too far away. 

Not everyone is as conscientious as I.  About once a week, someone pulls into those spots and doesn't straighten up.   They usually pull into the further one, but have the rear of their car in the first one by 6-12 inches, thus invalidating a prime spot.  It was also a SMALL sports car, so there was a TON of room on the other side of the car.

One day this happened.  It also happened to be a day that I was driving the family mini van instead of my muscle car.  The minivan that has 250K on it, rust on the bottom of the doors, a huge scrape on the passenger side for another stupid driver and chunk out of the hood (we call the van Shark Bite for that reason).  I really don't care if it gets another ding.

THe car in spot two was parked with driver front wheel RIGHT on the line and driver rear wheel about 6 inches over into Spot One.  Now, I know the width of the spots, and the width of the van, and I'm an awesome parker (really, I'm paranoid about space, so I've honed that skill).  I decided that I was going to park as perfectly between the lines for Spot one as I could.  I did.  I was PERFECTLY centered between the two yellow lines.  It was just an added bones that that put my rear quarter panel about 2 inches from the back of the car in spot two, and 8 inches from the driver's door.

There was NO WAY that the driver could get into the car from the driver's side.  He/She had to have gone in from the passenger side. 

When I left after 12 hours at work, the other vehicle was gone, and I was actually a little disappointed not to find a red streak down the side of my van (the offending vehicle was red; my van is silver (ok, grey really)

EMuir

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 01:47:43 AM »
Friday, I did similar things in my '84 Chevette.  If someone parked just over a line in order to take up two spots, I could often still park beside them and be perfectly between the lines of the one spot.    My car wouldn't notice another scratch or ding.  If you want two spots, park at the far end of the lot.

GirlyJock

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 01:55:55 AM »
I hate parking when there is a car on either side of the space I'm in. So when I'm about a foot from the nearest car, I reverse & back in & out until I'm in and reasonable centered in the spot. I also park at a commuter train stop during bad weather.

I got a note on my car, stating that the car to the right of me had had a black line on it (it was blue), and that it had just been detailed, there was no line on it when he parked, that he had a driveway, and no car parked next to him there, and that there was a black patch on the bumper of my gray car (which had been there for years) that appeared to be at the same height as the line on the car. The letter was a page long, noted the time he parked & returned, and started "Dear Sir" (which just rubbed me the wrong way).

I called the guy to let him know I hadn't touched his car. It was a 20 minute "thing". He either wanted my address, or me to give him mine. Because he hadn't been able to line up my bumper with his passenger door to see if the black "rubberized" patch on my bumper (it was plastic, and DH and I checked it, to verify that there was no damage to the plastic/no sign of rubbing off on it). And he wanted me to meet him to see, because if it didn't match, then it showed I didn't hit him, but if it did, then that was "one more thing" that indicated I had hit him. Ignoring my repeated statements that I did NOT hit his car. After 20 minutes, I irately told him that that would NOT be possible, and that I did NOT hit his car, and I was NOT going to entertain the thought that I could make an "18-24 inch line" on his car and not know it. I wished him a good day and hung up.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that bumpers come in standardized heights. I wasn't going start that.