News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 04:59:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Learn How to Park"  (Read 10766 times)

Cuddlepie

Re: "Learn How to Park"
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 02:32:47 AM »
My son works at a supermarket.  Sometimes I arrive a little earlier than his finish time and I get to observe some darn bad parkers.  The worst one of all, was the driver who parked in a wide disabled parking space and still had wheels in the bay of the spot beside him...and parked crooked to boot.  It was a truly awesome bad effort. 

Until I saw the driver I didn't judge too harshly, there could have been issues I was not aware of...but out hopped a spritely younger person who then helped out the passenger. 

PinkWildRose

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 02:45:49 AM »
When I was learning to drive, I had a tough time with the parking thing.  Even now, it's not my favourite part of driving.  I just don't have good three-dimensional spatial cognition.  So generally if I see someone parked badly, I try to be understanding, because I know how hard it can be to learn.  But I have to admit, that during the winter, when the snow's covering up the space lines, and everyone takes up two spaces instead of one, it really gets to me.

Thanks for the encouraging words; sad as this is, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been falsely accused like this, and I'm working on just tempering that urge to justify myself.  On the bright side - rubbing compound has taken out most of the scratch.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 10:03:34 AM »
What my friends do to a parked car that is parked annoyingly so (too close, at an angle, in an inappropriate place, etc...) is to fold the passenger side mirror in.
It's an annoyance you usually only notice after you've started driving, but it does no harm to the vehicle.

Deliberately scratching someone else's car? I just can't get my  head around that one...

This is not an annoyance but a safety issue. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »
What my friends do to a parked car that is parked annoyingly so (too close, at an angle, in an inappropriate place, etc...) is to fold the passenger side mirror in.
It's an annoyance you usually only notice after you've started driving, but it does no harm to the vehicle.

Deliberately scratching someone else's car? I just can't get my  head around that one...

While it isn't something I would do as I would not touch someone's car, if someone fails to carry out proper mirror checks before moving off it is no-one's fault but their own.

Larrabee

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »

While it isn't something I would do as I would not touch someone's car, if someone fails to carry out proper mirror checks before moving off it is no-one's fault but their own.

That's cold comfort to anyone they might hurt in a crash.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 10:23:33 AM »

That's cold comfort to anyone they might hurt in a crash.

It's not meant to be comfort.  Like I said, I wouldn't do it.

I'mnotinsane

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 10:46:45 AM »

As a Driver Ed teacher I agree with the first part-you should check all of your mirrors before moving.  However if you do not-for whatever reason-and a safety issue arises there is enough blame for both parties.

tiger_splash

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
Sorry, but although it is major rudeness to screw with peoples mirrors, they shouldn't be driving if they don't know how to look around if a mirror is folded in.  I've had it done as a prank and and by accident -- darn neighborhood kids.  And if I remember driver's ed correctly, you are supposed to visually check and not drive by mirror anyhow.

I'mnotinsane

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 12:02:45 PM »
Sorry, but although it is major rudeness to screw with peoples mirrors, they shouldn't be driving if they don't know how to look around if a mirror is folded in.  I've had it done as a prank and and by accident -- darn neighborhood kids.  And if I remember driver's ed correctly, you are supposed to visually check and not drive by mirror anyhow.

Your memory is not quite correct.  While you cannot rely on your mirrors-they are an important safety feature and should be checked frequently.  Unfortunately, since the passenger side is much easier to see visually than the driver's side, a driver does not always notice their passenger side mirror until they really need it.  Which is why I said the driver has equal blame-because they should do a mirror check before moving the vehicle.  However, the person who folds a person's mirror in is equally responsible (morally and ethically) if a safety issue arises.   

Sirius

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »
Many years ago I drove an old white Pinto.  I was parked in a space in front of an office on a military base, and when I came out there was a bright yellow 280-Z parked halfway in my space.  The driver, a lieutenant in the Air Force, had the nerve to lecture me about being badly parked, even after I pointed out that he was over the line, not me.  He then threatened to sue if I hit his car backing out.  I've been told in ensuing years that I could have reported him for conduct unbecoming an officer, since I did have his name.  I got into my car being very careful not to touch his car in any way, then backed straight out and was on my way. 

I wonder if it's occurred to some of these people that just because I drive an old car doesn't mean I'm less careful with other people's cars.  I now drive a 95 Geo Metro.  I've had people muscle into my parking spaces many times.  A couple of weeks ago someone who did that came out to find a tow notice on their van.  I had nothing to do with that - it's written into the rental agreement of the apartment complex where I live that cars parked in their parking lot have to have their car registration up to date, and this van was two years out of date, on top of being badly parked.  It's not there now - I don't know if it was towed.

Shopaholic

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »

Your memory is not quite correct.  While you cannot rely on your mirrors-they are an important safety feature and should be checked frequently.  Unfortunately, since the passenger side is much easier to see visually than the driver's side, a driver does not always notice their passenger side mirror until they really need it.  Which is why I said the driver has equal blame-because they should do a mirror check before moving the vehicle.  However, the person who folds a person's mirror in is equally responsible (morally and ethically) if a safety issue arises.   

If I recall my driver's ed correctly, the passenger side mirror is not a safety necessity, but more of a convenience. The law doesn't require it.
I recently exited my own parking space, and my mirror folded over in the process. I didn't notice it until I got on the highway.
It was nobody's fault but my own.
If a car is parked so close to the next car, or a barrier of any sort, that a pedestrian cannot pass, it is not unthinkable that a pedestrian fold the mirror over to get by.

I'mnotinsane

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »

If I recall my driver's ed correctly, the passenger side mirror is not a safety necessity, but more of a convenience. The law doesn't require it.  Assuming you are in the US, your state law may not require it (others do).  As far as a safety necessity that is a different issue, there is a lot of evidence to support that it is, but I would leave that decision to the driver, no one else.
I recently exited my own parking space, and my mirror folded over in the process. I didn't notice it until I got on the highway.
It was nobody's fault but my own.  Because no one chose to fold in your mirror.If a car is parked so close to the next car, or a barrier of any sort, that a pedestrian cannot pass, it is not unthinkable that a pedestrian fold the mirror over to get by.  I admit I assumed you were 'retaliating' since you knew the driver most likely wouldn't notice it and would be annoyed.  Personally, I just choose another path (the majority of even new vehicles do not have this feature)or if I chose to fold in the mirror I would just unfold it after passing.  Encouraging you not to post about retaliatory rudeness was my first instinct.  I focused on the safety issue (and it is important) so as not to call you out.  If you weren't retaliating I do apologize.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
I think it is intensely rude to handle someone else's car without their permission, regardless of how it is parked.  And I think it is PA to leave a note saying "Learn how to park."  It's retaliatory rudeness, as PPs have mentioned.

That said, I also think it is very rude to park in a way that prevents others from parking or exiting a parking space.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Mannerless

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »
My son works at a supermarket.  Sometimes I arrive a little earlier than his finish time and I get to observe some darn bad parkers.  The worst one of all, was the driver who parked in a wide disabled parking space and still had wheels in the bay of the spot beside him...and parked crooked to boot.  It was a truly awesome bad effort. 

Until I saw the driver I didn't judge too harshly, there could have been issues I was not aware of...but out hopped a spritely younger person who then helped out the passenger.

I feel that having a disabled placard on your car does not give you license to park poorly.  If you cannot park you car properly, you should not be driving.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
That's terrible! I will admit to having the fantasy of scratching someone's car (such as when someone intentionally took up 4 prime parking spots at the local grocery store this past week) but that's as far as it goes.
Think about this story, then.

Many years ago, DH and I were stationed at a small US military base in rural England.  The parking in front of the Ops building was adequate but not overly so.  There was one SS who owned a fancy sports car, a black sports car waxed to a mirror-like finish.  It was his habit to park at the far end of the lot, and take up 4 spaces to do it, in order to keep his car pristine.  Since he wasn't taking up spaces that others needed, he was never reprimanded for this.

Except... remember that I said rural England?  The parking lot was bordered by a sheep pasture.  And in the pasture was a ram, a wily old ram who knew just what to do about interlopers.

Somehow this ram got out of the pasture and into the parking lot.  And there, in the shiny side of the fancy sports car, he spots another ram.  "Trying to steal my ewes, is he!" WHAM as he hits the "other ram" head-on.  He backs up, and by dingdangity that other ram is still there, challenging him!  WHAM!  and WHAM! and WHAM! until the side of the sports car no longer presents a sleek, shiny, mirror finish.  Finally the victorious ram trots away, to be rounded up by the farmer later.

We will draw a curtain over the woes of the sports car's owner, with one tiny footnote.  When he got it back from the body shop, he started parking it in the middle of the lot, with a car safely on either side.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~