News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Learn How to Park"  (Read 10782 times)

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
Re: "Learn How to Park"
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »
You never know...maybe someone is parked askew because the person before them had parked badly but drove away before you got there.  So you could be blaming the wrong person.

Yes, this. Going to a Party City, which has a notoriously cramped parking lot, I took the only space available - and the car to the left had parked over the lines. But since the car on the other side had also parked over the lines, I had room to fit in. As I exited my car, the owner of the car to the right came out and started berating me about parking too close to her.

Me: "Sorry about that, ma'am. The car next to me parked over the lines."

Her (looks and verifies): "Oh! OK. Can you believe how people park yadda yadda?"

She came out allll ready to draw blood over my parking, only to be shut down with a polite response. And no, I was not close enough to prevent her from getting in her car...it was a little tight, but everything in that lot is.

Ashaela

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2011, 03:50:18 PM »
In my parking garage at work, there are assigned spaces on the ground floor; smaller, unassigned spaces on the next two, and larger spaces from there up to the roof.  I come in early in the morning, and my car is sized to fit well in the smaller places, so I park closer to the ground floor.

The enormous black pickup truck, however, is NOT sized to fit in these smaller spaces.  He jams it in there anyway.  There were five or six occasions last year where I had to crawl through the passenger door, over the armrest, fit myself down around the steering wheel and try not to get stuck - no easy task for a 'big' girl in a medium-ish sized car.   >:(
Hooray, it's raining!

Mopsy428

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »
Yesterday, I was going to Staples, and some guy decided to pull his car over to talk on his cell phone. Unfortunately, he took up at least 3 parking spaces.  ::) He then moved to the fire lane. Apparently, it was too hard to park correctly and then talk on his cell.

glinda

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
Friday, I did similar things in my '84 Chevette.  If someone parked just over a line in order to take up two spots, I could often still park beside them and be perfectly between the lines of the one spot.    My car wouldn't notice another scratch or ding.  If you want two spots, park at the far end of the lot.

I owned a 1984 Chevette Scooter (2 doors and a hatchback) and came out of a restaurant one time to find two big trucks parked so close on either side of me that I had to crawl into the car through the hatch as I couldn't get either door open far enough to get into the car.

I was parked between the lines of my spot. 

BeachesGirl

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:48 PM »
The week I moved into my apartment (which only has on-street parking), my boyfriend parked on the street and returned to a note threatening a tow the next time he blocked this person's driveway.  We checked and the foot of "driveway" he was blocking was a gravel addition to the driveway where no curb had been cut (i.e. not a legal driveway).  We are careful not to park there, but this neighbour is not on my good side.  After reading this thread, I'm glad there was just a note and no damage!

The same week, we parked on the street and had our hatchback open.  While we were standing there about to remove furniture (to move into the apartment), somebody came and parked right behind us.  There were many other street spaces available and it was obvious that we needed the space to move the furniture so we simply politely asked her if she'd mind choosing another space.  She moved and apologized and so did we, so it all ended well, but it was hard to prevent myself from rolling my eyes when she first parked.

I'm sure there will be many more adventures in on-street parking to come.

Always ask politely if you may please have a Timbit.

TychaBrahe

• Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
As for businesses making parking spots bigger, that doesn't stop someone who has a giant sense of entitlement. In a PP I mentioned the local grocery store where an SUV took up 4 spots! The parking spots in this lot are generous; you can fit a Hummer in them (although I have never understood the appeal of those). You could have gargantuan parking spots and there will still be a SS who takes up more than one.

When the zombie wars happen, you will wish you had a Hummer.
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

DavidH

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2011, 07:14:28 PM »
One of my more amusing moments was parking roughly centered in a spot when the person on my right had parked very far over the line so that I was about an inch or two from his car.  I was inside and able to watch when he returned to the car and complained to his friends about how he couldn't enter the car.  They then started telling him I told you not to park like that and so forth.  Eventually he entered from the passenger's side and climbed over. 

jaxsue

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
As for businesses making parking spots bigger, that doesn't stop someone who has a giant sense of entitlement. In a PP I mentioned the local grocery store where an SUV took up 4 spots! The parking spots in this lot are generous; you can fit a Hummer in them (although I have never understood the appeal of those). You could have gargantuan parking spots and there will still be a SS who takes up more than one.

It will take a zombie war to make me get one of those.  :)

TheDisappeared

« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »

As a Prius owner I disagree.  :P  Do you really want to be stopping for gas every couple hundred miles with zombies attacking?

Kaire

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »
I'm handicapped and the yellow blocked lines on each side are non-parking areas so that if you have a wheelchair or need more room to get out, you have it.  You'd be shocked how many people park in the yellow lined area (handicapped, non-handicapped, and lots of motorcycles!) 

I've had the store do an announcement in the past because I can't open the door wide enough to get in.  I figure that is nicer than calling the police to ticket them!

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »

As a Prius owner I disagree.  :P  Do you really want to be stopping for gas every couple hundred miles with zombies attacking?

Well you might be out of luck if you can't find a power source when the grid goes down. 

Better find a solar powered car!!