Author Topic: How do you address a Physician's Assistant?  (Read 20426 times)

steelstress

How do you address a Physician's Assistant?
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:18:49 PM »
An MD is addressed as Dr. X, or Dr., a nurse as Nurse X (or his/her name).

How would you address a physician's assistant?  I typically see a PA for an ongoing problem I have, and I don't know how to properly address him.  PA?  First name only?  Mr. X?  I have to make another appointment soon, so I'd finally like to address him somehow!

What about a nurse practitioner?

Kinseyanne

Re: How do you address a Physician's Assistant?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »
I address them in the way they introduced themselves to me.  So I have a "Karen" who is a NP, and a "Ms Smith" who is a PA that work with my PCP.  When in doubt, I would address them as Mr/Ms last name. 
Live believing dreams are for weaving.  Wonders are waiting to start.  Live your story: Faith, Hope and Glory.  Hold to the truth in your heart.

Cuddlepie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »
If you're unsure of this, ask the receptionist, if there is one or just ask the PA.

In my opinion, no one will think less of you, if you say that you're unsure how to address the PA.  It's far better to ask that to get it horribly wrong - that could hurt - if the PA was PA.  (Physician Assistant was passive agressive....boom boom....sorry  :'( )

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:48:16 PM »

How would you address a physician's assistant?  I typically see a PA for an ongoing problem I have, and I don't know how to properly address him.  PA?  First name only?  Mr. X?  I have to make another appointment soon, so I'd finally like to address him somehow!

If it isn't a doctor, it's by their first name, because that is what they call themselves.  If they called themselves something else, that is what I would call them.  I have never had a doctor ask me to call them by their first name and that's fine with me, even though they always call me by mine.  I know that bugs some people but I couldn't care less. I don't want to call my doctor Jeff and I don't want him to call e Mrs. Bijou.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 12:06:38 AM »
I'd simply ask the physician's assistant what they'd like to be called. That seems easy enough.

Ed.

Poppea

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:09:32 AM »

I've never heard a nurse addressed as "Nurse X" outside of old movies.

steelstress

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »

I've never heard a nurse addressed as "Nurse X" outside of old movies.

I remember doing that as a kid.  Now I just use Nurse if I don't know their name.

I'll ask the PA's coordinator when I call.  I did call him by his first name last time I was there, as I said good-bye.

evil_xylo

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »
The midwives at my OB's office are all either PAs or CNPs and my DDs see CNPs regularly.  I usually go with either how they introduce themselves or how the rest of the office staff refers to them.  I think all of the ones we see go by their first name.  When you call to make an appointment how does the receptionist refer to the PA?

kajunchick

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 08:16:16 AM »
My friend Melissa is a CNP and she said that her patients usually call her Melissa or Ms. Melissa. My kids see a PNP sometimes, and we call her Ms. Mary because that's what the office staff call her.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 10:20:20 AM »
I am NP and introduce myself as Mrs. JoyinVirginia, I tell patients they can call me Mrs. Virginia or just Joyin.
The nurses tell patient the same thing, so they can pick, I don't care.
I have a PA friend whose patients call him "Dr. Jim".

tiger_splash

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »

[/quote]
If it isn't a doctor, it's by their first name, because that is what they call themselves.  If they called themselves something else, that is what I would call them.  I have never had a doctor ask me to call them by their first name and that's fine with me, even though they always call me by mine.  I know that bugs some people but I couldn't care less. I don't want to call my doctor Jeff and I don't want him to call e Mrs. Bijou.
[/quote]

I actually got in trouble over this one once when I was working in a doctor's office.  If a doctor wants to be on a last name basis with me, that's cool.  I'm Mrs. Splash.  But I do not wish to be Tiger to him/her while they are Dr. Name.  Either we are both on a first name basis or a last name basis.  I was comfortable going by last names for the entire office because of my military background, but did not like how the doctors (and some PAs) insisted on being called by their surnames while using my first name.

mlkind1789

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »
In my dd's ped office there is a PA and she always goes by her first name.  That is how she introduced herself to us the one time we had to see her instead (emergency visit, doctor was on vacation).

MissBrit

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »
I work in a doctor's office where we have two PA's (and at one point an NP) I've noticed that everyone calls them by their first names, while the doctors (with a few exceptions) are referred to as Dr. Lastname. Either way, I would say just ask the physician what they would like to be called. No harm, no foul.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
I'm a PA, and I just go by my first name.
newbiePA

boxy

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »
I tend to find ways not to use a name at all.  If I have to get their attention I just say, "excuse me," and ignore the fact the PA has a name.

I'm glad to see by the responses it's okay to use their first name if that's how they introduce themselves.  If I'm ever treated by a PA again I think might saying something like, "if I need to get your attention should I call you by your first name or do you have a different preference?"