Author Topic: You've never had....??? (spinoff of EEEWW)  (Read 16479 times)

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
Re: You've never had....??? (spinoff of EEEWW)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 04:24:23 PM »
I don't recall eating lettuce until my mother married my stepfather when I was 11.

Same for fresh green beans (we had canned ones though).

I had never seen a paper plate until I was in third grade.  It was actually the day of JFK's funeral.  I found one on the ground and was amazed when my sister said it was something you THREW AWAY!

I brought it home and my mother was less than impressed.  She made me throw "the dirty thing" away.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 05:33:28 PM »
I never knew what vegetables were supposed to taste like until I had Chinese food when I was in 5th or 6th grade because my mother always cooked them almost to mush.  Crunchy is good.

Nuku

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
I never had lamb or veal that I can remember. That was the first meat I refused as a child, and I eventually became a vegetarian, so they're not an option anymore, anyway. I first had cheese curds only about a month and a half ago. (Keep in mind, they are standard snack fare where I live - but I grew up in a different state.) I've never tasted most "standard" salad dressings (Thousand Island, Russian, etc.), because I've never liked most creamy dressings (and their colors are often unappealing to me), so unless it's honey mustard or there's a vinegar-based dressing available, I'd rather eat my salad plain and dress it with pepper and cheese (preferably Parmesan). (A local Afghan restaurant makes a delicious curry dressing that is creamy and that I'll eat in a heartbeat, but I love curry, and the color's pretty!)

I was in grad school with someone who had never had Chinese food. A group of us took her out to lunch at a Chinese restaurant, and she realized what she had been missing. (This was in a western state where you can get excellent Asian cuisine in many towns.)

Since I've become an adult, I've tried a lot more foods than I grew up eating, so even though there are some foods I dislike and refuse to eat (mushrooms being the main one), I've at least tried many of them. (I love being at the farmers' market and picking out my veggies when someone comes up and asks me how to cook something I now consider pretty standard fare!)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 05:36:45 PM »
I was in middle school before I ever ate food with onions or garlic.  I never had Mexican or Chinese food until I was 13.  Indian and Japanese appeared in my life when I was 16 or so.  Now most of what I eat is Southwestern or Asian inspired.

kathrynne

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 06:42:05 PM »
I first had cheese curds only about a month and a half ago. (Keep in mind, they are standard snack fare where I live - but I grew up in a different state.)
I really miss cheese curds. Around here you can get string cheese, but it's NOTHING like cheese curds.

We had to take a small spoonful of whatever nasty vegetable was being served at dinner and at least taste it. My mother's famous "oops" line that she'll never live down was, "Everyone, take a pea."

Now I like peas, but not at Mom's. She would cook them until they were disgusting green raisins.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 07:10:34 PM »
I've never had mutton, but some have told me I'm not missing anything.

I also haven't had tripe, but same deal.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »
I hate mustard so I ate my deli sandwiches dry until I tried Mayo on it, probably after college.  Also, because my parents hate mayo, except in Deviled eggs.  They still think I am weird for using it. 

A friend of mine hates mayo, too. As she puts it, "It makes the food look like it's already been eaten, if you get my drift." (hope that didn't gross anyone out)

Cheese curds -- yum! The convenience store where I work (northeastern U.S.) sells the Heluva Good brand of cheddar cheese curds. I love them plain but also love to put them in chili! Of course, I consider no meal complete without cheese; if I developed lactose intolerance I don't know what I'd do.

I never had prime rib until last year -- and I'm 48! My BF and I attended his co-worker's wedding and that was one of the menu choices. BF chose it for both of us without consulting me (out of character for him, as he is the king of thoughtful, but I guess he presumed since he likes it, everyone does).

I took two or three bites and hated it. I little-white-lied that I couldn't finish it because I'd filled up on appetizers, and gave it to the other couple at our table to take home. (Couldn't give it to BF because we were camping that weekend -- no fridge.)

Tangent alert: When I was growing up my parents drank instant coffee at home. At fairs and things I would see coffee grounds dumped in the garbage at vendors' stands. But because I had no experience with used coffee grounds, I thought they were devil's food cake! I remember thinking, "Why are they throwing out perfectly good cake?" This is also the gal who was 30 before she figured out that plastic tampon applicators show up on the beach because they've been flushed down toilets. I just thought there were a lot of skanks out there who thought nothing of changing their tampons on a public beach! (again, apologies for the gross visuals).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:34:30 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

FluteOfDoom

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »
I know a guy in high school who's never had stuffing. Ever, even the stuff from the box. I'm working on persuading him to persuade his mum to pick some up. (As you can probably tell, I love stuffing).

alli_wan

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 08:23:50 PM »
This is also the gal who was 30 before she figured out that plastic tampon applicators show up on the beach because they've been flushed down toilets. I just thought there were a lot of skanks out there who thought nothing of changing their tampons on a public beach! (again, apologies for the gross visuals).

While some of them may come from the toilet, most are probably dumped garbage.  I work in a lab and my boss's motto regarding biological waste is 'if you don't want to see it wash up on a beach, put it in the Biohazardous Waste.'  Hence, even plastic petri dishes that we have only put water in get tossed in the special 'to the incinerator' waste because the trash collectors (and beach goers) won't know that we only had water and not killer Ebola/HIV/flesh eating bacteria in it.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 09:00:37 PM »
I babysat for two little girls when I was in high school.  I was responsible for cooking dinner for them (and their parents) every night.  The menu always consisted of a meat or pasta, fruit and veggie.  Very limited variety.

Meats/Pasta: Ham, Pork Chops, Fried Chicken, Beef Roast, Fish Sticks, Hot Dogs, Mac and Cheese, Spaghetti (no Sauce), Cheese Pizza

Veggies: Canned Green Beans, Baked or Mashed Potato, French Fries (frozen), Corn on the Cob

Fruits: Strawberries, Bananas, Grapes, Applesauce, Canned Peaches, pears or pineapple.

If it wasn't on this menu, the girls hadn't had it.

shygirl

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 09:27:46 PM »
I've never had mutton, but some have told me I'm not missing anything.

I also haven't had tripe, but same deal.

Oh yeah, you are definitely not missing anything with tripe.

When I first started dating my husband, he took me to a friend's house.  They were serving tripe for dinner.  I have the attitude where I'll try most anything once.  When they told me exactly what it was, I was a little hesitant.  But it smelled okay, so I decided to go for it.  So, I stuck a piece in my mouth and started chewing. 

I must have had a horrified expression on my face, because everyone started laughing.  I also had to clamp my hand over my mouth to prevent myself from spitting it out on the plate.  I couldn't help it, the texture was SOOOO gross.  I managed to get that piece down, and said "never again".

They all thought it was hilarious because apparently tripe is a great treat in their country.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 09:54:16 PM »
I've never had prime rib and don't care if I ever try it.

I tried olives for the first time after my senior year of highschool.  :-[

SMP12

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »
My husband never had macaroni and cheese, Cheeto's, beef jerky or tri-tip until he met me!

Ha! This makes me sound like a healthy eater  :P

And....

I just tried leg of lamb with mint sauce for the first time on Sunday- I highly recommend it!

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 10:47:54 PM »
I never had a cheeseburger until I was 17 (we're jewish....while we don;t keep strict kosher I thought, cheese on meat is something I had never tasted).

Taco;s-- I was 20 and it was the only food left open on campus.

I feel silly.... but I just never had the stuff :) Fast food wasn't my parent's thing....so I had a lot of "firsts" in that regard, and honestly never developed a taste for them :)

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 10:54:37 PM »
I have never eaten Lamb or veal < though i love veggies i have never tried brussel sprouts

Shay

Yay :) someone else. I eat meat, I am not a vegetarian but I cannot eat lamb or veal. An awful coworker thought it was hilarious to "accidenntly" tell me to try his dish, made CRIVINS! veal. I took only one bite, and now I have to say I *did* try veal. I was so upset...and I admit it, cant think of a particular reason thought :)