Author Topic: You've never had....??? (spinoff of EEEWW)  (Read 16087 times)

Moogle

Re: You've never had....??? (spinoff of EEEWW)
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 11:26:16 PM »
I trained with a guy who had never eaten a bagel.

I had my first bagel after college.  I went to visit my sister in the States and she had me try bagels.  Bagels are non-existent here.  It is only late last year that a bagel shop opened here.

I had my first taste of lamb a few nights ago.

hkkatie

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2007, 11:27:22 PM »
One of my best friends in the world had never had pizza until she was about 18. She said she thought it looked gross! Me and our other best friend finally convinced her to have it, and  unfortunately we went to a place that we'd never been before and the pizza there was kind of gross. Luckily, she gave it another shot somewhere else and now she's hooked!

When I was a kid, we had some neighbors who were Indian (from India) and they brought us dinner one time, I think after my little brother was born. I had never had what they brought us, I didn't even know what it was called. But I loved it. And I always remembered the smell. It wasn't until I started dating my hubby at age 20, and he took me out for Indian food, that I realized it was curry! I still love it, all kinds.

Here in Hong Kong, thanks to dh's relatives, I'm exposed to all sorts of interesting foods. I have tried almost everything at least once (including fried squid tentacles), but have yet to try the chicken feet. My 4 year old likes them, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Moogle

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:45 PM »
Here in Hong Kong, thanks to dh's relatives, I'm exposed to all sorts of interesting foods. I have tried almost everything at least once (including fried squid tentacles), but have yet to try the chicken feet. My 4 year old likes them, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I've never gathered up enough guts to try chicken feet either.  ;D

Craftymom

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 12:12:37 AM »
I have to admit, I like most foods, but have not tried lamb or veal.
Love Mexican food, and Italian food.

I worked at a Phillipine restaurant for a couple of years and tried a lot of things there.
Fried bituka, pig's intestines but it tasted like long strips of pork from pork fried rice.
Chicken adobo, chicken in gravy it seemed like, could eat that every day.
There was one thing called "blood stew" I think, looked and tasted like stew to me, but was great over rice.
Halo halo, was fruit, condensed milk and ice altogether, but I left out the ice and added plain white rice to it, was fantastic.
Lechon kawali (sp?) was pork and you put this lechon sauce on it, was fantastic.
I tried most things that were offered/suggested, but the dilis I just couldn't do. They were this tiny little smelly fish that were absolutely horrible smelling and besides they were looking at me. :o

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 12:17:54 AM »
I trained with a guy who had never eaten a bagel.

Unfortunately it was because he was a racist jerk, and didn't want to sully himself with "Jew food" (his words)

I've never had a bagel.

Wahhhhh, now Iwannabagel, iwannabagel, sniff sniff

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2007, 12:39:48 AM »
I was about 20 before I had stuffing.  Before that, I would not eat food that was "mixed up", even though I liked bread, celery and onions (the major components of my mother's stuffing).  I finally tried it that year, and realized what I'd been missing.

I've never had venison, buffalo or veal.  Chicken and steak are OK, but I seem to have a block around anything else.

I've never had most seafood, but since the few times I've had fish, I've been very sick afterwards, it's probably a good idea to give it a pass  ;).

gui

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 01:25:55 AM »

You know, I can't say whether or not I have ever had stuffing.  I don't think so.  Haven't avoided it, just never came up. If I saw it in a buffet, I would probably pass it by for the better looking stuff.   

I am 37, and it was a couple of years ago that I had pork that had not been ground up into sausage.  My FH has been teaching me the joys of cooking pork. 

Summrs

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 01:26:25 AM »
My kids have never had liver.  I had to choke it down as a child and I swore I'd never make anyone else do that. I've never cooked it or had it in my house since I've been an adult.

For me, it's eggplant.  Something about the way it looks after you cut it, all brown and leathery.  Nope, not gonna do it.

Moogle

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 01:35:44 AM »

I worked at a Phillipine restaurant for a couple of years and tried a lot of things there.
Fried bituka, pig's intestines but it tasted like long strips of pork from pork fried rice.
There was one thing called "blood stew" I think, looked and tasted like stew to me, but was great over rice.
Halo halo, was fruit, condensed milk and ice altogether, but I left out the ice and added plain white rice to it, was fantastic.
Lechon kawali (sp?) was pork and you put this lechon sauce on it, was fantastic.
I tried most things that were offered/suggested, but the dilis I just couldn't do. They were this tiny little smelly fish that were absolutely horrible smelling and besides they were looking at me. :o

I also never had the guts to try "blood stew".  It's called "dinuguan".  If anybody is wondering what's in it, I can PM a reply.  ;D

Mmmm.. dilis... tastes good when dipped or drowned in vinegar.  ;D

My BIL has loooves adobo, be it pork or chicken.  The only ones he refuses to try out is dinuguan, durian and balut (duck egg).

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 03:11:45 AM »
I've never had mutton, but some have told me I'm not missing anything.

It depends on how it is cooked. Kleftico cooked by a proper Greek restaurant is the tastiest thing on the planet. No one does mutton like the Greeks, although there are some Indian dishes (mutton korma for example) that are almost as good. I like lamb chops too. But mutton cooked badly can be horrible. You have to go somewhere where they do it just right. Darn, now I want some!!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Craftymom

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 06:17:37 AM »

I also never had the guts to try "blood stew".  It's called "dinuguan".  If anybody is wondering what's in it, I can PM a reply.  ;D

Mmmm.. dilis... tastes good when dipped or drowned in vinegar.  ;D

My BIL has loooves adobo, be it pork or chicken.  The only ones he refuses to try out is dinuguan, durian and balut (duck egg).

Dinuguan, thank you, I could not remember that word to save my life, it was not bad. The owner's mother asked me to sit and eat that with her, I think she was surprised that I ate it.
Balut was the other one I would not try.
I also remember loving anything to do with eggrolls, and the pancit bihon was wonderful.

kckgirl

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 06:26:46 AM »
I had my first bagel in my 40s...not really any reason for that other than I'm from the midwest and there weren't any good bagels around. The only ones you could get came frozen in the grocery store and they just didn't look good to me. When I moved to the mid-Atlantic region, I went to a bagel shop and tried one. Bagels...yum!

I never liked squash or broccoli until I was in my 20s. I'm in my early 50s and just tried guacamole a couple of weeks ago. I never tried it because avocados looked like something I didn't want to eat. So I finally got up the nerve to try some that looked really good. I did not like it at all.
Maryland

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 09:56:28 AM »
My parents were never ethnic food fans, so growing up we ate standard midwestern fare (boooring!). I was an adult before I had mexican or chinese food.

Back in the early 70s, when The Partridge Family was on (anyone else watch it?), a "taco stand" was often mentioned in the show. 3 of my cousins, who lived in far northern Ontario, Canada, didn't know what a taco was. They thought it was a drink! We set them straight on that when we were teenagers. And, no, I don't think all Ontario residents are ignorant about tacos - this was way back when, and my cousins were probably an exception.

I looove bagels! I live near NY city, and IMO the best bakeries/delis in the world are here. I am a bagel snob, and anything other than a fresh, legit bagel is inedible. I just pass on the lox.

For 22 years I lived in the southeast US. Some of the food I never could understand. Chitlins - pig intestines. No thanks. Pig's feet - ewwww. The best food was BBQ. It is hard to find good BBQ up north, although it's making inroads in NYC.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 10:01:57 AM »
I didn't eat Chinese restaurant food until I was out of college. I blame my mom; Chinese food in our house was La Choy from a can.  I assumed all Chinese food was like that.  One day, a bunch of coworkers went out for lunch and decided to go for Chinese.  I stared at the menu and decided surely I could try cashew chicken.  I liked cashews, I liked chicken.  Huh.  This is a lot better than La Choy.

Now I love Chinese food and crave it often.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 10:04:20 AM »
 >>I didn't eat Chinese restaurant food until I was out of college. I blame my mom; Chinese food in our house was La Choy from a can.<<

That was my experience. We very occasionally had chop suey from a can, topped with those squiggley things - I forget the name. Yuck! That passed for exciting ethnic food at my house. When I had the good stuff, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.