Author Topic: You've never had....??? (spinoff of EEEWW)  (Read 16421 times)

Just Lori

• USA
Re: You've never had....??? (spinoff of EEEWW)
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
>>I didn't eat Chinese restaurant food until I was out of college. I blame my mom; Chinese food in our house was La Choy from a can.<<

That was my experience. We very occasionally had chop suey from a can, topped with those squiggley things - I forget the name. Yuck! That passed for exciting ethnic food at my house. When I had the good stuff, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. 

LOL.  I think tacos with chunks of Velveeta cheese qualified as Mexican food in our house.  We did enjoy Eastern European ethnic like chicken paprikash (sp?) or goulash, but didn't do so well with Chinese or Mexican fare.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2007, 11:10:44 AM »
I never had oysters until I was 21. They were the cold kind served on ice. And they tasted like they had dirt in them-there was some gritty stuff! Can't say I liked it, but maybe I need to try them hot instead of cold.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2007, 11:19:08 AM »
I never had oysters until I was 21. They were the cold kind served on ice. And they tasted like they had dirt in them-there was some gritty stuff! Can't say I liked it, but maybe I need to try them hot instead of cold.

Try 'em fried or steamed, and preferably during the colder seasons, that's when they are the best.  We go by the Rule of 'R', eat them during the months that have 'R's in them (Sept through April.)

They're also good in dressing (stuffing).

~ Cristen

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »
I didn't eat Chinese restaurant food until I was out of college. I blame my mom; Chinese food in our house was La Choy from a can.  I assumed all Chinese food was like that.  One day, a bunch of coworkers went out for lunch and decided to go for Chinese.  I stared at the menu and decided surely I could try cashew chicken.  I liked cashews, I liked chicken.  Huh.  This is a lot better than La Choy.

Now I love Chinese food and crave it often.

LOL!  A Chinese restaurant is a step above La Choy (though I still get cravings for that), but nothing surprised me more than actually getting to China and finding not a rice grain size portion of chow mein anywhere.  Turns out that neither chow mein or chop suey are even Chinese in origin-they were "invented" in America by crews working on the railroads.

Needless to say, the Chinese food in China was way beyond a Chinese restaurant here, but I'll take what I have.

(squiggly, crunchy things-rice noodles  )

gui

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »
I didn't eat Chinese restaurant food until I was out of college. I blame my mom; Chinese food in our house was La Choy from a can.  I assumed all Chinese food was like that. 

I was the same way about Indian food (although I mean British Indian food). Vesta Beef Curry is nothing like a chicken korma or a lamb rogan josh!

I have never eaten a papaya. Don't know why, just haven't. I do buy things from the exotic fruit section (which is how I discovered mangosteins - mmm!) but I have never had a papaya. Or a plantain or plantain chips. Or red lentils (although if they're anything like green lentils I'll skip them). Falafel. Octopus. Shark. Grouse. Cheval.

Things like buffalo and bear sound terribly exotic to me.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2007, 12:39:25 PM »

Try 'em fried or steamed, and preferably during the colder seasons, that's when they are the best.  We go by the Rule of 'R', eat them during the months that have 'R's in them (Sept through April.)

They're also good in dressing (stuffing).

~ Cristen

In my family we also go by the r rule but that is because the spaun (sp) during the summer months and tast a little wierd

Shay

Belle

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2007, 12:53:41 PM »
>>I didn't eat Chinese restaurant food until I was out of college. I blame my mom; Chinese food in our house was La Choy from a can.<<

That was my experience. We very occasionally had chop suey from a can, topped with those squiggley things - I forget the name. Yuck! That passed for exciting ethnic food at my house. When I had the good stuff, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. 

Apparently it wasn't just my family! When I was younger, I (thought I) hated Chinese food. The only Chinese I ever had was my mother's chop suey, which, just, ew. (With the little crunchy rice noodles on top, of course.) I don't think I tried real Chinese food until college, when a friend convinced me to go to a Chinese restaurant even though I didn't like Chinese. Wow--I was shocked to see the wide variety of foods on the menu, and even more shocked to discover that I liked almost every one of them. I haven't eaten mom's chop suey (or anybody else's chop suey) since then.

There were probably a lot of items I didn't eat until I was in college and moved away from home. My mom cooked stereotypical, bland, midwestern--cassaroles (including tuna fish cassarole with crumbled potato chips on top), meat and potatoes, absolutely nothing with unusual or hot spices.

Now, I'm willing to try any food once. I've discovered a lot of fantastic dishes that I love (as well as a few that I could do without--no liver, no brains--yick, yick, yick).

There are several italian deli meats that I had never even heard of, let alone eaten, until I met my DH  when I was in my mid-20's (prosciutto, mortadella, capicola).

Edited, because my grammar skills were at an all time low when I posted!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 10:58:30 AM by Belle »

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2007, 02:06:34 PM »
I was the same way about Indian food (although I mean British Indian food). Vesta Beef Curry is nothing like a chicken korma or a lamb rogan josh!

"Palatable to non-Indians" Indian food is completely different to *real* Indian food. Here, if you want proper Indian food that tastes fantastic, you need to find a restaurant that is not only owned by, but frequented by, Indian people. Then you know it's a decent restaurant. A place that not only makes curry dishes but things like paneer and briyani... hmmm...

I have never eaten a papaya. Don't know why, just haven't.

We call them pawpaws here. They're yummy. Until I started working I had never eaten a kiwifruit. And it turns out they're delicious!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

alohomora

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2007, 02:15:38 PM »
I had never had guacamole (sp?) until I was about 30.  I thought that it looked unappealing, so I never tried it. 

I was eating at a Mexican restaraunt a couple of years ago and ordered a dish that had guacamole served on the side of the plate.  I accidentally got a bit of the guacamole on a bite of food, but I figured that it was so little that I would never taste it.  I did taste it though... and it was delicious!   :D

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2007, 03:34:31 PM »
I had never had guacamole (sp?) until I was about 30.  I thought that it looked unappealing, so I never tried it. 

I was the same way, except that I was 25 when I first tried it.  After 4 years of living with a person whose personal culinary specialty was homemade guacamole (ew! ick! green mushy stuff!), I finally gave it a try.  I can't believe I spent 25 years denying myself avocados!   :o

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2007, 03:56:29 PM »

I was the same way, except that I was 25 when I first tried it.  After 4 years of living with a person whose personal culinary specialty was homemade guacamole (ew! ick! green mushy stuff!), I finally gave it a try.  I can't believe I spent 25 years denying myself avocados!   :o

I was 20, in Cancun Mexico at a great restaurant. I got a tiny bit of quacamole on something.....and I was hooked :)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• Super Hero!
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2007, 03:59:47 PM »

What is actually IN guacamole? Is it just a fancy name for avocado dip? Because I make a great avocado mush to put on sandwiches by mashing the avocado, adding a little mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and slathering it on the bred. Yummy!

But the best way to eat an avo is to pour a bit of vinegar in the space where the pip would be, add salt and just hollow the avo out with a spoon!

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »

What is actually IN guacamole? Is it just a fancy name for avocado dip? Because I make a great avocado mush to put on sandwiches by mashing the avocado, adding a little mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and slathering it on the bred. Yummy!

But the best way to eat an avo is to pour a bit of vinegar in the space where the pip would be, add salt and just hollow the avo out with a spoon!

Marina,

Basically it is Avacado- I also put in in bits of tomatoe, and hot peppers, then I season as I like. It delicious :) Sounds much like your avadaco mush, in fact that is the way I use describe it- pre-elightenment :)

Marina-

(Yes I really did have to do that, I am tickled there is another Marina around!)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2007, 04:12:38 PM »
Interestingly, I love guacamole, but don't like sliced avocado.

Good guacamole has hot peppers and cilantro in it.  Mayonnaise is nahstay.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• Super Hero!
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2007, 04:29:52 PM »
Marina,
Basically it is Avacado- I also put in in bits of tomatoe, and hot peppers, then I season as I like. It delicious :) Sounds much like your avadaco mush, in fact that is the way I use describe it- pre-elightenment :)
Marina-
(Yes I really did have to do that, I am tickled there is another Marina around!)

Oh, me too! I still get confused sometimes when people respond to you and I think, "But I didn't say that!" Then I realize they said Marina and not T'Mar and it wasn't even me they were talking to!

(Venus)
Good guacamole has hot peppers and cilantro in it.  Mayonnaise is nahstay.

I've seen so many Americans on e-hell who seem to hate mayonnaise. Do you think it's possible that American mayo is just horrible? Because I LOVE mayonnaise, especially the tangy type, and can eat it with a spoon just like that. I've taste a couple of American brands (Hellman's?) and they do taste kind of watery and bland.

Don't know about Brits or people from other countries. What's the mayonnaise like where you live?