Author Topic: You've never had....??? (spinoff of EEEWW)  (Read 16200 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Re: You've never had....??? (spinoff of EEEWW)
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2007, 11:34:04 PM »
My friends and I used to drive to Utah to get their awesome fry sauce.  I'm really disappointed, I thought it was a real sauce!

Hmmm, I think the only thing I haven't eaten are the duck egg things.... and thats how its going to stay.
My DH never ate seafood until we were on a trip to the Keys and I convinced him to order some catch of the day... now he eats fish, shrimp, clams, oysters, and lobster!  I am still trying to get him to try crab though... we're in AK, and can get fresh king crab, why wouldn't he try it?
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Summrs

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2007, 12:56:52 AM »
I have never tried brussel sprouts .. I have to admit I am a bit curious, but I don't really know how to cook them!

Try them this way:

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Proscuitto
Serves 6

4 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
2 tb sherry vinegar
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 small shallot, chopped
1 ts Dijon mustard
6 tb extra virgin olive oil
2 ts chopped fresh thyme
Salt and cracked black pepper

4 oz prosciutto, julienne

Place the Brussels sprouts in a medium size metal bowl.  Place the vinegar, garlic, shallot, and mustard in a bowl and whisk until smooth. While whisking slowly add the oil and whisk until smooth. Add chopped thyme and season well with salt and pepper. Pour over the Brussels sprouts and toss well. Place the bowl over a burner and cook just until the sprouts are sizzling. Season and toss with prosciutto. Serve warm.  This is easily made vegetarian by omitting the prosciutto.

And Guacamole:

2 avocados, dark green      
1 small tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, pressed    
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 small red onion, minced    
Salt
2 jalapeņos, seeded, minced   
1 ts chopped cilantro (optional)

Chop and prepare all ingredients before opening avocados.  Open, pit and scoop avocado into a bowl.  Pour lime juice over it immediately. Add garlic, onion, jalapeņo, tomato and cilantro (if desired).  Mix, breaking up the avocado into the consistency you like.  Season to taste with salt.  Serve with tortilla chips. 

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2007, 02:39:35 AM »
I've never had a McDonald's hamburger.

Me neither. I have a philosophical objection to eating anything there. I have had one of their ice cream thingies, though, but in my defense my brother bought it.

My brother says every time he eats at McD's he gets physically ill - nauseous and so on. So that's another reason why I steer clear.

I do like fast food, though. There's a place here called Steers that consistently wins hands-down against other places (yes, including McD's) for the quality and taste of their food. I'll eat Steers food any day.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Cattaby

• Friendly Cat. Fully litter trained.
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2007, 07:31:36 AM »
I'm Chinese.

I've never had Chop Suey (what *is* this crazy made up chop suey stuff anyway? :P)

Also, I live in Australia and have never had a bagel either. Everytime I see a bagel, there's a donut sitting right next to it. And why have a bagel when there's a delicious donut...  :D

I never ate rabbit until this year... when my boyfriend and I cooked 2 for Easter. lol.

Yzawinn

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2007, 08:35:02 AM »
My daddy is a cook. He taught me to alway try a new food before you say you don't like it. Also he taught me to taste food first before adding more salt. These are lessons i hold dear and want to pass to any future childeren i might have.

There a very very little things i don't like to eat - chicken livers - snails - greasy/fatty meat. That's about it.

But when i was a guest at a fancy dinerparty and i got a plate of escargots in garlicsauce, i ate it without complains. (wine washes away the taste just fine)

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2007, 10:37:52 AM »
What is actually IN guacamole? Is it just a fancy name for avocado dip?

I know that others have answered this, but I thought I'd put in my two cents: avocados, lime juice, cilantro, and anything else you want. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 10:40:11 AM by CzarinaBurrito »

Belle

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2007, 10:55:39 AM »
I'm Chinese.

I've never had Chop Suey (what *is* this crazy made up chop suey stuff anyway? :P)

Chop Suey = rice, cooked until mushy, some sort of nasty brown sauce, random vegetables (there was usually celery in my mom's), plus water chestnuts and crunchy rice noodles on top, which allow the cook to claim that the dish is chinese because it has water chestnuts and rice noodles.

Ick. I think it's hysterical that this "Chinese" food was created in the U.S. (Out of curiousity, I googled Chop Suey, and pretty much every site says that it's NOT traditional Chinese food and was created in the U.S.)

Also, I live in Australia and have never had a bagel either. Everytime I see a bagel, there's a donut sitting right next to it. And why have a bagel when there's a delicious donut...  :D

There is a certain logic to that!

HushHush

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »
I hear you about the seafood thing.  I was stationed in San Diego and did eventually try a smoked salmon egg roll thing at a really high end sushi restaurant that was really good but I'm not daring enough to try to repeat the experience.  I've tried various seafoods and just don't care for the texture/taste.  I make my ds try and swallow at least one bite before he can say he doesn't like it.

I've never had brussell sprouts, lamb, veal, rabbit, venison or buffalo.  Well, buffalo meat.  I did try some buffalo mozzarella on a cruise once and decided I didn't like it.  Don't know what I thought it would be but what was served was DEFINATELY not what I expected!

A good friend of mine had never been to Olive Garden so I took her.  And then took her to a much better Italian place in Vegas that used to be owned by the Mob.  No idea if the second place is more authentic but certainly more unique.

Linley

• My life is not a democracy, YOU do not get a vote.
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2007, 12:55:22 PM »

I've seen so many Americans on e-hell who seem to hate mayonnaise. Do you think it's possible that American mayo is just horrible? Because I LOVE mayonnaise, especially the tangy type, and can eat it with a spoon just like that. I've taste a couple of American brands (Hellman's?) and they do taste kind of watery and bland.

Don't know about Brits or people from other countries. What's the mayonnaise like where you live?

I think you may be on to something. I hate American mayo (except for Smart Balance) and I love European mayo (I'm not sure about British, I've never bought mayo in Britain). After having access to good mayo for so long in Austria I'll never put up with the nasty stuff when I'm in the US again.

ETA that while Miracle Whip is the worst, I hate the Hellman's and such what too. That isn't mayo in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 12:57:50 PM by linp1920 »

I'm the kid who has this habit of dreaming
Sometimes gets me in trouble too
But the truth is I could no more stop dreaming
Than I could make them all come true.

-Cry, Cry, Cry- "The Kid"

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2007, 04:39:54 PM »
Have you (or anyone you know) never consumed some sort of food that's considered by most to be common, everyday, layman food?

I was in my late twenties before I tried sauerkraut. Very sad, all the years I could have been enjoying it...

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2007, 04:51:16 PM »
I have never eaten a papaya. Don't know why, just haven't.

We call them pawpaws here. They're yummy. Until I started working I had never eaten a kiwifruit. And it turns out they're delicious!
*That's* what Baloo was singing about!! Heh :}

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2007, 04:58:33 PM »
I think it's hysterical that this "Chinese" food was created in the U.S. (Out of curiousity, I googled Chop Suey, and pretty much every site says that it's NOT traditional Chinese food and was created in the U.S.)

I saw a documentary that covered that, and mentioned that the closest food-words in any Chinese language (dialect?) is (close to) 'Sop Sui', which means "leftovers" :). Which... explains much :). Not surprisingly, of all the Chinese dishes I like, Chop Suey is not on the list.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2007, 07:03:16 PM »
I knew someone in college who had never had a bagel.   Wasn't even sure what one was.   And, she was slow to try it.  I mean, its bread, how bad can it be?

I somehow missed a lot of casserole horrors growing up, so the whole midwestern just add cream of mushroom soup to it! mentality still grosses me out.

Well, not everyone is a racist who eats bagels you know.....bagels do dangerous things to your world view from what we've been told....
HA! I made it on here with a racist bagel joke first!!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2007, 07:11:20 PM »
I have never had rabbit. I don't want it either. I don't think that there is anything about a rabbit that looks tasty to me.
I don't eat squirrels, doves, pigeons, armadillos or raccoons either-I was raised in the South but not by Phillistines.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2007, 11:00:18 PM »
Me and DH were just talking about it.... but I have never tried "relish" or "tartar sauce"

I love pickles....but for some reason relish freaks me out :)