News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 20, 2017, 07:45:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O of a S/O-When coworkers refuse to call you by your name?  (Read 4512 times)

Spoder

Re: S/O of a S/O-When coworkers refuse to call you by your name?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 05:11:26 AM »
Then there are people like my dad... ::). That man? CANNOT remember names. I've never, ever, met anyone like him for it. It's not just as he ages, either; this is a typical conversation from my childhood:

Dad [to Mum]: Heck, they'll be here in a minute. What's Bob's wife's name again?
Mum: Bob's wife?! You know Bob's wife's name! It's Sarah.
Dad: Sarah, Sarah...okay, good, what about Mike's wife?
Mum: {*le sigh*} Pam. Pam, we see her all the time.
Dad: Yes, of course. Pam, Pam...

*3 minutes later*

Dad: Bob, errrr...Jane! Come in, come in, nice to see you Bob, come in Jane! And here's Ruth and Mike - Ruth, do you know Bob and Jane?

Mum:  ::) ???  :-[ *headdesk*

Carnation

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »
Then there are people like my dad... ::). That man? CANNOT remember names. I've never, ever, met anyone like him for it. It's not just as he ages, either; this is a typical conversation from my childhood:

Dad [to Mum]: Heck, they'll be here in a minute. What's Bob's wife's name again?
Mum: Bob's wife?! You know Bob's wife's name! It's Sarah.
Dad: Sarah, Sarah...okay, good, what about Mike's wife?
Mum: {*le sigh*} Pam. Pam, we see her all the time.
Dad: Yes, of course. Pam, Pam...

*3 minutes later*

Dad: Bob, errrr...Jane! Come in, come in, nice to see you Bob, come in Jane! And here's Ruth and Mike - Ruth, do you know Bob and Jane?

Mum:  ::) ???  :-[ *headdesk*

My stepfather apparently didn't know our names.

My mom was "Dear"

My oldest sister was "Your Oldest Daughter"

My older brother was "Your Oldest Son"

My other brother was "Your Youngest Son"

I was "Your Redhead"

My younger sister was "Your Youngest Daughter"

All our cats were "Stinky", except for "Mama Cat"

He did know the dog's name, Ajax.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
My grandfather called every single person (including women) Maurice, and all dogs and cats Haggardy.  It kept things simple.

Maujer

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
I'm allll alone.  :'(

It doesn't bother me at all whether people use my full name or the shortened version.

It doesn't really bother me either, but I completely understand why it would bother others. But I'm another nickname first name person so I do occassionally get people who try to call me by the full-length version of my name. It used to drive me bananas as a kid, especially since I didn't really like the full-length version at the time. My first name is something like "Cathy" so I don't mind being call "Cath" but "Catherine" does bug me a little.

Firecat

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
I have one of those names with loads of nicknames, too, and I don't go by any of them. Even my DH and my parents use the full version of my first name. And I really don't appreciate it when someone attempts to be "friendly" by using one of the nicknames. Is it really so hard to ask: "Do you go by Meg or Maggie?" rather than just assuming?

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
I highly dislike any attempts at shortening my name. And the most common variant is a unisex name which I don't care for. The other problem is my name is spelled in an older style do people can buture pronouncing it. There is a short nicname that I go by, but you can only find out if I tell you. Family calls me my formal name, military calls me by my last name and close friends call me by my chosen nicname. End of story.

Virg

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
LC wrote:

"My name is pretty much impossible to turn into a nickname so I'm safe as far as that goes."

I wouldn't be too sure about that...

Virg

Sirius

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
My first name is for legal paperwork only; I solely use my middlename in everyday life. My firstname, let's say 'Cynthia', can be nicknamed to Cindy. You can't do much with my middlename, 'Tee'. I've only had one teacher ask if it was short for Teresa and my aunt likes to address my holiday cards to just 'T', even after I innocently corrected her when I was young.  ::) 

In my last place of employment, I filled out all the paperwork as usual; Cynthia Smith. Awhile later, I get my insurance card in the mail... and it is for Cindy Smith. CINDY. ... what?  >:(  So the next day, I stop by HR, to get it corrected and they tell me that I should not have put Cindy on my applications/forms if I didn't want it on my card. Excuse me?  >:(  I explained that I don't know what happened, but I do not use my first name and would NEVER write down Cindy on anything.. ever. They just said they'd get it fixed and the next card was correct. The very frustrated part of me sorely wanted to add "and you need to SHOW me where it says Cindy on my file." but that was just stray thoughts in my head..  :P

My first name really is Cynthia, but I normally go by Cindy.  However, when it comes to official paperwork I always sign it "Cynthia."  I've never had what the above poster described happen, although once my Air Force medical card was mistyped and I was being called to my appointments as "Cynthis." 

Samantha

• Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »
It works the other way, too. Two of my nephews have nicknames-for-full-names. (I've gathered from baby name sites that some people dislike this trend, but I quite like it, and obviously so do their parents0. Let's say their birth-certificate names are Jim and Dan. Strangers are introduced to them and then proceed to address them as 'James' and 'Daniel'. Way to confuse the poor kids, those are not even their names!

Yep! The ex-husband of one of my friends is named Danny Middle Last Jr. I created their wedding invitations. I printed one for her to proof, and was quickly corrected. I thought they called him Danny, short for Daniel. Nope! Danny AND his Dad both have the name Danny on their birth certificates.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

TangerineCouch

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 10:20:40 AM »
I always feel bad when this topic comes up. I have a first name that is more commonly a nickname, like Jenny, and I've always disliked it and wished that I had the more adult sounding long name option. I'd rather be Jennifer and go by Jenny than be just Jenny. But, c'est la vie, I've lived with it. You would think, though, that this would have made me sensitive to others' naming issues.

Which is why I'm particularly embarrassed that in my early working days I started calling one employee Jackie (not just once) without asking her. She was obviously upset by it and took it as a personal slight. She didn't like me much to begin with and this really did not help matters. Worse yet, I had a lot of trouble calling her Jacqueline because I felt so bad about it that I kept screwing up AND my roommate at the time was Jacqueline who went by Jackie, which only added to my confusion. I will say that I've learned my lesson, and now always ask before shortening! But, Jacqueline, if you're out there, I'm sorry. 

DuBois

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 03:44:33 AM »
My grandfather called every single person (including women) Maurice, and all dogs and cats Haggardy.  It kept things simple.

I have to say, I rather like that :D It keeps everything equal. I'm not a huge fan of nicknames generally, but I wouldn't mind being called something toally random if it was done like that.

catgal

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 06:55:40 AM »
I think that is always good manners to use the name that someone introduces themselves with. I have a name that can be shortened from Jennifer, to Jenny or Jen (not my actual name).  I like Jennifer or Jen, but loathe with a fiery passion being called Jenny.  I don't know why, but my mum says that I have hated it since kindergarden.  I introduce myself to people as Jennifer and feel that people are taking a liberty to then immediately address me as Jenny or Jen, particularly in a business setting.  I would correct them each time they called me Jenny by saying "it's Jennifer". I like to think that I'm an easy going lass, but this is one of my bug bears!
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.