Author Topic: Unbelievable Generosity  (Read 1887 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Unbelievable Generosity
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:45:27 AM »
I posted in the I Need a Hug folder that I seriously screwed up my finances this month. I mentioned that I work part time for a local farmer who provides me with all my produce. In fact, I used to subscribe to their farm before I went back to school, and over the year we've worked out for me to work in exchange for free produce.

I consider the family to be good friends (I've spent holidays with them) and on Saturday, I was there working. The wife was stressed, I was stressed and we went into a gripe fest. I mentioned how freaking broke I am this month.

On Sunday afternoon, after the town's farmer's market, the husband knocked on my door. He unloaded into my house 40 pounds of tomatoes, 10 pounds of onions, 5 each of rice, almonds and beans, 2 each of zucchini, squash, peppers, and peaches, a dozen ears of corn, 2 melons, a big bag of basil and a few heads of garlic.

He told me that that was what they didn't sell that day and he'd rather not haul it home. I could donate it to the food kitchen, sell it myself, feed the masses or hoard it all, it was up to me.

Now I have a pantry of canned marinara, a freezer full of soup and casseroles, and I'm going to be feeding dinner to 20 people this week.

I cried and thanked him profusely, and have written a letter, but they've brushed it off as been there, done that, and now they're paying it back, with little effort on their part.

So, anybody out there who gives of what you already have more than enough, let me say thank you. Words can't express what a difference it can make.

Spoder

Re: Unbelievable Generosity
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:57:49 AM »
That's so wonderful.

You must be an awesome, generous person yourself, to have people in your life who want to do that for you.  :)

yokozbornak

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »
I needed to read that today.  Thanks for sharing!  :)

gingerzing

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
What wonderful people.  And to just say that it was a paying it forward thing is just awesome.
I am sure the wife was "I can't help with some of mbbored's problems, but hey, we can help the food bill." 

I know some farmers at the local market donate to the local soup kitchen with the stuff they didn't sell. 

pharmagal

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:53:07 AM »
 :)

I'm sitting here, with tears in my eyes.  It's been one of those weeks, and this has made me ...well, happy.

What wonderful people they are.  You're very lucky to have them in your life.  But I bet also, there are others who are very lucky to have you in their lives too. 

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »
I got teary! What a great story!
The status is not quo!